AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Image ad getting zero impressions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've recently created my first image ad, but in the three weeks it's been live, I've had no impressions at all.

I can't remember what I originally set the budget as for the campaign containing that ad (and only that ad) but I increased it to £1.50/day after the first week. I don't know if it's still too low but wanted to look into other possibilities before continuing to increase as I'll only eventually get to the point where the money being spent on the ad outstrips the business the ad brings in.

The other think I was thinking is that possibly the display network just isn't very strong in my area, which is Cumbria, England. I don't want to say it's a backward place, but it's the sort of place where it's not that uncommon for people you meet at business networking events to say they don't have a website.

I've set the targeting to target websites which either match the interests I have selected OR the placements I have selected (though I can't find how to double check that it is OR I selected and not AND). I selected interest groups relating to business services, media, graphic design, advertising etc. and then also selected a few placements on local newspapers websites (though most of the biggest local newspapers I couldn't find in placements).

Any thoughts would be hugely appreciated.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Image ad getting zero impressions

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello.

When the relationship between the budget and the cost per click is such that the budget can only accomodate very few clicks, the system will not show your ads. Because if it shows them, and they get to show to a certain number of users, there's a risk of getting more clicks than 1.20 x your daily budget can handle (AdWords will only use up to 20% over the daily budget in one single day, and never more than your monthly budget in a month, which is about 30.4 x daily budget).

I can easily imagine a cost per click of 0.30, and that would mean the daily budget only lasts for 5 clicks. Which may be way too little, especially if you're not restricting placements through keywords or topics or interest categories.

Just raise the budget slowly and see when it starts to get impressions. And make sure that the CPC / budget combo allows for more than 10 clicks a day. Hopefully you're not using automatic bids but set your CPC manually.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Also it could be related to the area to are displaying your ads. 

You mentioned Cumbra, if that is the only/primary area you are targeting then here is what has to happen for your ads to show up:

Someone in your area has a website AND it is related to your target keywords AND they are a part of the Google ad Network AND they have display ads on their site not just text AND they have a spot for an image ad the size you have created.

You see, that is a lot of qualifications that must be met for your ad to show. 

I would suggest first of all trying some Google searches for your targeted keywords and your targeted geographic area. So if your business is Dog Biscuits in Cumbra England, run that search and close variations. Are there any sites that your might might show up on?

This will also give you an Idea of whether you need a different size display ad, or should stick to text ads as well. 

After these things I would play with the budget. Cheers.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

"Someone in your area has a website AND it is related to your target keywords AND they are a part of the Google ad Network AND they have display ads on their site not just text AND they have a spot for an image ad the size you have created."

This is mostly correct. But targeting is based on the user's location, not the website. You have a very small target area. If the location is derived from the IP address, the user needs to be using an ISP located within that area. If there are no ISP's serving the area, you may need to open up your target a little.

The key here is to create multiple versions of your image ad in the different sizes Google allows. I usually throw in a text ad to get coverage on sites that do not accept image ads. Also, you generally need to bid higher for image ads as they often occupy more than one (text) ad unit.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for clarifying Smiley Happy

Sq
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Sq
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello,

You will never get on a newspaper site in England for £1.50

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Well I'm not using keywords in my targeting... only location and interest groups.

Perhaps I could try specifying Cumbria as a keyword instead of as a location. That way I might get on the pages which are about Cumbria rather than only those which are hosted in Cumbria.

As someone asked earlier, no there are no ISPs based in Cumbria, though my text ad search campaigns limited to Cumbria still find people. Don't know if that works differently.

As for the newspapers, I'm not that fussed about getting them specifically, as none of my local newspapers appear to be in the display network, just a couple in the far corner of the county that is well away from what I would consider local.

One thing is I'm using interests in targeting, but not sure what the difference is between interests and topics. Also I use placements under the impression that if I pick placements then my ads will appear on sites which are either in my list of placements OR match my selected interests. I'm not entirely cure if that is the case though.

The little Venn diagram says:

Selected targeting
Interests & Remarketing
Selected for bid management only

Placements