AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

If you already rank in SEO for a keyword, should you exclude it?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Say your selling baking soda, when people google "Baking Soda", you dont show up but you'd like to, so you add it to Adwords.  But say if people search specifically for "Baker Soda Powder" and your #4 on the first page, your also showing cause of your Adwords keyword "Baking Soda" on the very top, do you think it would be optimal to probably exclude the search "Baking Soda Powder" from your AdWords keywords list so that your not paying extra for something your already showing on first page for?

My general thought is if someone was shopping round for baking soda powder, even if they didnt see you right away on the very top in PPC, chances are probably still good theyll see you if your ranked pretty high in top 5 links of google and chances of them clicking you will probably be just as good cause the user probably wants to compare around and research a little anywyas.  

What do you think? Appreciate any tips! Smiley Happy

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Philip L
September 2015

Re: If you already rank in SEO for a keyword, should you exclude it?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I think, even though your site ranking on the top of organic results you must continue to bid on the same keywords.
Simple Reason: Most of google users dont scroll below first 5-6 results (Including 2/3 sponsored links & 2-3 organic listings on top). I understand through lots of hard & honest seo effort you website has gradually reached on the top organic results but I guess you will agree that your site's organic listing wont receive traffic in following case even after maintaining rank among first 3

1) Visitos click on your competitor's ads just bcz they did not saw your ad & were not keen to scroll down, just below ads.
2) There is high probability that your competitors will take advantange of your absense on the top above the organic listings. They will grab most of business you would definitely lose.
3) There are chances your competitors start bidding HIGH on the keywords you are targeting top spot in organic results.
4) Selling is best possible only through specific exact match keywords only in the adwords where as probability of sales is comparatively low in SEO. I knw its unfortunate but it happens in many case.

So Adwords is required even though you rank on top

View solution in original post

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Philip,

In many cases, it is worth keep keywords in adwords even if you rank organically for them.
So I would suggest you that just create a simple experiment and measure the outcome. If your result is higher when you are keep the same keywords in adwords, then keep them. If your result is lower, then exclude the keywords from adwords.

Just remember, don’t just think about what you should or should not, test your guess and let the outcome tell the answer.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Philip,

This case is often discussed in terms of branded keywords as well. The reality is, as previously stated, there is likely no perfect answer here, no right or wrong can be determined without more details and without testing.

In many cases, it will come down to budget availability. If you have the budget, it's often worth it to bid on keywords that you also have decent organic ranking for. Not only do you take up more real estate on the SERP, but you keep up with your competitors who are also likely considering the same options.

IMO, ad copy provides a much better chance of making a connection with a user and enticing more clicks than Google's dynamically created snippets that are based off of the content on your site.

The other side would be if funds are tight. Then the argument becomes well, if someone knows my brand/product and is searching for it, I'll trust that they can find me organically and I'll hope that my competitors, who are running ads, will be unsuccessful in stealing them away from me.

It's certainly tricky but if you have baseline data and can run some testing, I think you answer will present itself.

I tend to see the efforts as complimentary.

Side note: If you connect your adwords account with webmaster tools, you can see a paid vs organic report right in the adwords interface.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3097241?hl=en

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Philip,

Good question. I agree with the feedback that Sanjay and Tommy have already provided. I did want to add one point, though. Generally, I would say that coverage on PPC is important, even if you are already ranking organically for a term. However, it does depend on what those terms are.

In your post, you mentioned a situation where a searcher is still be shopping around. Typically, if budgets are tight or margins are low (I assume baking soda margins are low), I conserve my PPC budget for low funnel terms, where the searcher is more likely to have already made up their mind to purchase. Then I use my ad to try to convince that person to buy it from us. Once a person is ready to buy, I want to have as much coverage - organic and paid - as possible, because those are valuable clicks.

There's still value in having upper funnel paid search coverage, as well, but if budgets are tight and I have strong organic coverage, I might be less likely to bid on those terms.

Hope this helps!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Philip L
September 2015

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I think, even though your site ranking on the top of organic results you must continue to bid on the same keywords.
Simple Reason: Most of google users dont scroll below first 5-6 results (Including 2/3 sponsored links & 2-3 organic listings on top). I understand through lots of hard & honest seo effort you website has gradually reached on the top organic results but I guess you will agree that your site's organic listing wont receive traffic in following case even after maintaining rank among first 3

1) Visitos click on your competitor's ads just bcz they did not saw your ad & were not keen to scroll down, just below ads.
2) There is high probability that your competitors will take advantange of your absense on the top above the organic listings. They will grab most of business you would definitely lose.
3) There are chances your competitors start bidding HIGH on the keywords you are targeting top spot in organic results.
4) Selling is best possible only through specific exact match keywords only in the adwords where as probability of sales is comparatively low in SEO. I knw its unfortunate but it happens in many case.

So Adwords is required even though you rank on top

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Interesting answers everyone, I have a much better understand and idea of the thought process to it all now. For now I think Ill just leave the adwords on! Thank you for taking time out to answer my question!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I hope,

my suggestion helped you get the required solution.

regards
Vikas