AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

If so many clicks from mobile devices are fake, why asume that...?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello,

First of all, happy holidays to everyone!

So, I am new with GDN, but not new to the search network (I love the search network). I am starting to learn and use more of the Display Network and one of the first things I noticed is how many 'fake' or 'non-related' clicks I am getting to my site from mobile apps.

I know I can simply disable those clicks, but my question is more about the psychology of the DN and why those people are clicking those links if they want nothing to do with the ad. In that sense, why should I assume that the rest of the DN will behave differently? 

I see a lot of potential on the DN but until I understand why I was getting so many clicks from people who didn't want to click on my ad its hard to me to invest more money expecting different results, event if I don't target mobile apps anymore.

any light on this will be appreciated,

Thanks!

3 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Yakito
September 2015

Re: If so many clicks from mobile devices are fake, why asume that...?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;

As you said - from a philosophical  POV:  - if your ad is attractive - then people like to "check and explore" by clicking on the ad when they see it while surfing the internet.

Thus, one of the main objectives when setting a campaign on DN is to find the exact relevant  audience(s) to target and to structure a campaign to target  these audiences.

Naturally,  due to the enormous size of the DN this is a difficult task - however, this is the goal in mind, when you set a DN campaign. Smiley Surprised

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Hi Yakito,

Moshe has given you some great advice here. To just add a few pointers here, I would suggest you do give layered targeted (For example - Keyword + Interests) a try in your DN campaigns. Layering is always good when it comes to finding relevant audience on the display network.

In comparison to the Search Network, it is somewhat difficult to reach out to the right audience on the Display network ( which does not mean it is an impossible task). You just need to understand (overtime) the right placements for you, the ones that are the most relevant to you and the ones that reap you the most leads. This is totally your call, depending on the objective of your account/campaign, you need to zero in on your best possible placements.

Once you have identified these placements, you can either pull them out in a different campaign altogether and run a 'managed placements' campaign or run them in the same campaign with advanced bidding and concentrate just on these select few placements.

I would suggest you exclude Mobiles from your devices targeting (unless you have a specific criteria to fulfill for Mobiles as well) and then run just a Keyword Contextual or a layered campaign with Keyword Contextual targeting + Interests/ Topics and check the performance of your themes then.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;

As you said - from a philosophical  POV:  - if your ad is attractive - then people like to "check and explore" by clicking on the ad when they see it while surfing the internet.

Thus, one of the main objectives when setting a campaign on DN is to find the exact relevant  audience(s) to target and to structure a campaign to target  these audiences.

Naturally,  due to the enormous size of the DN this is a difficult task - however, this is the goal in mind, when you set a DN campaign. Smiley Surprised

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks Moshe, in the DN which percentage of targeting the right audience would you say setting the right keywords represents. For what I see it is dramatically different than the search network. I don't think with keywords alone I would be targeting a good audience in the DN, right?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Correct. On DN I Recommend at least 2 targeting methods. Keywords + another targeting method.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Hi Yakito,

Moshe has given you some great advice here. To just add a few pointers here, I would suggest you do give layered targeted (For example - Keyword + Interests) a try in your DN campaigns. Layering is always good when it comes to finding relevant audience on the display network.

In comparison to the Search Network, it is somewhat difficult to reach out to the right audience on the Display network ( which does not mean it is an impossible task). You just need to understand (overtime) the right placements for you, the ones that are the most relevant to you and the ones that reap you the most leads. This is totally your call, depending on the objective of your account/campaign, you need to zero in on your best possible placements.

Once you have identified these placements, you can either pull them out in a different campaign altogether and run a 'managed placements' campaign or run them in the same campaign with advanced bidding and concentrate just on these select few placements.

I would suggest you exclude Mobiles from your devices targeting (unless you have a specific criteria to fulfill for Mobiles as well) and then run just a Keyword Contextual or a layered campaign with Keyword Contextual targeting + Interests/ Topics and check the performance of your themes then.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Yakito,

Don't forget the very simple explanation that a lot of mobile clicks on the GDN (including apps) may be accidental.  Navigating a website or an app on a smaller-screened mobile can be tricky and unscrupulous AdSense users can place Ads in "convenient" positions that make clicks more likely.

Examining your Placements reports can help you identify the worst offending sites and exclude them, but to some extent the GDN is always going to generate more "irrelevant" clicking than Search, which is why it's important to measure the overall ROI.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
My suggestion.

Start Display with two adgroups with the following targeting:
1. Interest
2. Topic
Make bid adjustment for mobile -50% and run cCPC.

Then, create a remarketing list from Google Analytics and link it to your Adwords. Create a new display remarketing campaign with higher CPC and reduce bid adjustment for mobile.

I noticed that people tend to convert more on display remarketing campaigns then standard display campaign.

This method works best for me. Hope it does for you.