AdWords
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

If no ads are running for a keyword? What does that mean?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Everyone. 

I have a question. If no ads are running for a keyword, then what does that mean?

Suppose I have a keyword - Dino glasses and I found 0 ads running for this keyword. What does this mean? Does this mean the keyword is low competitive? Does it mean it doesn't have commercial value? Please explain..

Also, tel me how to Judge keyword competition and commercial value or conversion value for a any keyword?

Keyword Information:

Dino Glassses

Keyword Search Volume - 550

Suggested CPC - $0

Data from Keyword Planner

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: If no ads are running for a keyword? What does that mean?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Chris,

If you see no ads for a particular keyword, it means that AdWords doesn't consider it be competitive enough and there might be very few users searching for those online.

We can relate this to Keywords with status Low Search Volume as well. It does happen sometimes when you add some long tail keyword but it gets the status of LSV.

Also, this would vary from country to country depending upon the popularity of that particular keyword. It might happen that some search queries are more searched in Europe and lesser in US. So based on this, your strategy of adding new keywords if you have an International account might vary.

Go through the Keyword Planner Tool for competition, Local, Global Searches and other important metrics which can be used to start working on an account:- https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2999770?hl=en

On the other hand, there is a possibility that if you keep searching for one particular keyword again and again, Google might show you different results everytime because the Algorithm changes based on the hypothesis that you are not getting relevant results first time you searched on Google.

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks Pankaj for the reply..

But plz answer this question. Which metric will give us the exact idea about keyword competition. Just by seeing High, Low or Medium competition in keyword planner isn't enough. I want to know how to judge competition of a particular keyword.

If too many ads are running for a keyword, does that mean the keyword is competitive or popular?

As in SEO, we check the no. of results in SERP to get competition idea. How to judge keyword competition in PPC apart from keyword planner?

Does metric like Search Impr Share, or First page Bid could give us the Competition idea? plz reply ...

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Chris,

Please understand that any tool you use whether it's Keyword Planner or any third party tool, what you are getting is only approximation. No tool guarantees the specific information. So at that time, it's your judgement which comes into picture whether to implement that particular change in the account or not. Be it adding new keywords, increasing bid to first page estimates or Top of the page estimates etc...

I won't suggest comparing organic and paid results together. Both are different and works on different algorithms. 

Also AdWords is a great tool where you can do lot of experimentation to find the real niche what actually works for you. You can also run campaign experiments to see if any new changes you role out, how they are going to impact the account.

My Thoughts!

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks pankaj for the reply,..

But still I am confused abut keyword competition? How to judge the competitiveness of a keyword. Also how to know the commercial value of a keyword.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Chris, further to Pankaj's quite thorough replies, you really cannot compare the process of examining organic results with examining PPC results.

Google search will produce a list of results for pretty much any reasonable search term because it's effectively an index of every publicly available web page.  PPC results will only show if someone is paying for those results to appear.  It is therefore quite possible - and common - to find search terms that produce a lot of organic results but which produce no Ads because while there may be websites discussing the searched term, it may be unprofitable or impractical to effectively advertise on those terms.

To be honest, in my experience, the very best way to get a good reliable indicator of traffic volumes for Keywords is to actually run those Keywords in a short, inexpensive test.  While the Keyword Planner tries hard to give estimates that make sense, there are simply too many variables involved in AdWords to accurately predict how your Account will perform.

I can say though that if you find no Ads shown for your Keywords this will usually be an indicator they may not be profitable so you should approach any spend with care.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits