AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

If im not bidding top #3 spot- arent we all in effect getting a low quality score?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

So based off of much research and case studies it seems one of the most important factor overall for quality score maybe even other important factors like landing page experience is all a result of a high CLICK THROUGH RATE. 

Well... what if we want the "cheaper" traffic not in top 3.... thinking about this now is it even cheaper? If appearing below top 3 will decrease my click through rate.... and a lower click through rate leads to higher cost per click (worse quality score) what are we supposed to make of this situation? It seems common sense and i dont see it brought up ever. Thank you!

3 Expert replyverified_user

If im not bidding top #3 spot- arent we all in effect getting a low quality score?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Joe L,

CTR is the rate at which your ads are clicked. This number is the percentage of people who view your ad (impressions) and then actually go on to click the ad (clicks). Clicks ÷ Impressions = CTR.

With that thinking, if you are wanting to target ad placements outside of the top three or first page placements, your ad would be seen less and therefore your CTR could be better or equal to a advertiser that is targeting first page placement and not getting as many clicks for their impressions.

If you have a high-quality ad aimed at a relevant landing page and your ad shows 10 times on page two of the SERPs (search engine result pages) and it is clicked on 5 times, your click through rate is the same as an ad targeting top three placements and is shown 100 times and clicked on 50 times.

Kind Regards,

James 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Joe L
October 2016

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Google is super smart and understands the expected click through rate of bottom of page in position 5 is different than top of page in position 1 - and would adjust the score accordingly. Bids and positions really have nothing to do with quality score. In other words, I think you could have an ad that is consistently in a lower or bottom of page position with a CTR that doesnt appear to be great, but still retain high QS's. My recommendation would be to look at the other factors that Google considers when making the calculation; Are your keywords and ad copy aligned? Is your landing page high relevant? Hows the page load speed? Etc.

@Lakatos - what do you think?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

This was what i was looking for pretty much

"Google is super smart and understands the expected click through rate of bottom of page in position 5 is different than top of page in position 1 - and would adjust the score accordingly."

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Ben J,

" .... you could have an ad that is consistently in a lower or bottom of page position with a CTR that doesnt appear to be great, but still retain high QS's..."

Correct, that's plausible.

Best,

Lakatos

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

A point to remember is that CTR is a relative score. So,  the question is how is your CTR relative to your competitors.  A high CTR relative to your competitors will raise you QS significantly.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’