AdWords
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

If I'm using adwords, and I'm always outbid, will my ad ever show up?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm considering setting up and adwords campaign (pay per click), but the traffic I would be competing for would be pretty competitive. Can I see what my competitors are bidding? If I'm always outbid, will my ad ever show up? 

Thanks,

Dan

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: If I'm using adwords, and I'm always outbid, will my ad ever show up?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Dan,

Welcome to the community..!

No you can not see what your competitors are bidding.

But bids are not the only factors deciding your ad position.

As per Google your Ad position is determined by your Ad Rank in the auction. Your Ad Rank is a score that's based on your bid and your Quality Score. If you're using the cost-per-click bidding option, your bid is how much you're willing to pay for a single click on your ad. Your Quality Score is a measure of how relevant your keyword is to your ad text and to what a user is searching for.

So if you can improve the relevance of your ads the chances are high that your ads will be shown at a higher position.

Find more about these factors in the below link.

Ad position - http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722122

Ad Rank - http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1752122/?hl=en&

Quality Score - http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454010/?hl=en&

Hope this helps,

Info

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

You can use the keyword tool to get some idea of the amount of competition, then use the traffic estimator to get an idea of what kind of traffic you might get for what cost. Once you have an account set up, you can enable the first page, and top of the page bid estimate columns as well. 

Of course these are all just estimates, and you should never expect any estimate tools to be 100% accurate. Rather than focusing on "winning" a high position, try focusing on your ad text. Remember, you are marketing to people, not trying to beat a video game. Smiley Happy No matter how high of a position your ad shows in, or what the QS for any KW is, you are not really competing with other advertisiers if your message doesn't resonate with your audience.

Tom

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi Dan,

Some really good advice from the Community there. We also have a relatively new feature called 'Auction Insights' which allows you to compare your performance with other advertisers for specific keywords. Please see this article for more information on using this feature. 

Let us know if you have anymore questions!

Rachel 

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Dan,

As a general bidding rule, the average cost per click should be lower than your average earning per click(or profit per click)

so if you make a profit of $5 for every click(not considering the cost of the click), you can afford to bid that much.

i wouldn't worry about the competition too much.

just focus on your cost per conversion and what works for you.