3.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

If I have 2 same keywords in different campaigns

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If I have 2 same keywords in different campaigns, one as an exact match and the other as a broad match, am I degrading my account performance? I have done this to have better control on the bids and average position of the exact match keyword. Because I didn't want to loose impression on related terms I added the broad match keyword in another campaign with the exact match negative.

I am new to adwords.

Am I doing it wrong? Does this work?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: If I have 2 same keywords in different campaigns

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi
I would not have different keywords in different ad groups never mind in different campaigns. If you want to know how each one will perform individually without the other working then pause one and test one and then vice versa and then compare this against having both of them running at the same time. If you tell me more details on your account i can help you
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello,

Why do you have same keyword with different match type in different campaigns? Is it because you have different campaigns based on keyword match types ; like Phrase campaign, Broad campaign and Exact campaign?

I would look at 2 different perspectives here: One would be using similar match type keywords within a single campaign and based on the stats, focus on that match type which gives you good ROI.

Second would be creating separate campaigns for separate match types but using embedded negative matches. Like in Broad campaign adding phrase and exact matches as negatives and in Phrase campaign, adding Exact matches as negatives.

What strategy are you following in your account?

There's one article which I would strongly encourage you to read on how similar keywords match to search terms: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

If one of your campaign that has exact matches or phrase matches has a lower budget than the campaign having broad match keywords you can run into this exception that makes you receive less impressions on the campaign with a lower budget :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en

Exceptions to preferences

The AdWords system has some exceptions that might apply to all of the preferences listed above. The exceptions to the preference rules shown above might occur for the following examples:

A campaign is limited by budget

Your campaign's daily budget can affect each of the scenarios listed above. If a keyword is in a budget-restricted campaign, which means that the campaign's budget isn't high enough to accrue all possible traffic, the keyword won't always be able to trigger an ad even if it otherwise could.

And you can read the example they provide by clicking on the expanding line of text.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

I disagree with Adrian on this;

Quote;

>>>"If one of your campaign that has exact matches or phrase matches has a lower budget than the campaign having broad match keywords you can run into this exception that makes you receive less impressions on the campaign with a lower budget "

The issue of a limited budget was not raised buy the OP;  it is relevant only in rare cases of restricted budget and has nothing to do with one campaign has a lower budget than the other; (i.e "lower budget" is not necessarily  a "restricted budget").

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes , thank you for explaining it better. Only if you see the message "campaign is limited by budget" in the campaign with the more restrictive match type the exception starts kicking in and awards less impressions for the most restrictive match type because of the low budgeting.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi Pawas G,

I'll give you a simple answer: You are doing it right, it can work. Many people organize campaigns this way.

Just be sure to include negative exact match for keywords in your exact match campaign in the broad match campaign. In somewhat rare cases, the broad match can "steal" the impression from the exact match that is in a separate ad group or campaign. By you post, it seems you are doing that.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi

I'm not sure on your point Petebardo. If this person is new to adwords I would suggest to keep keywords that are similar in the same ad groups never mind different campaigns. This will lead to better QS, lower CPC. On your point that broad match and exact match compete for impressions is true if they are in the same campaign but not if they are in different campaigns.

I hope this helps

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have a quick question - I have 2 campaigns one targeting the whole of the UK and another targeting a city. I have adgroups in the local campaign which contains the same keywords as the main campaign - are these now competing?

Also noticing that some of the active keywords in the main campaign are showing up as search terms in the local campaign - is that hindering my account or either of the campaigns?

If I have 2 same keywords in different campaigns

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am using the same keyword on different campaigns with different location still only one keyword running and another one giving the error "We currently can't determine why your ad isn't showing."

What can be done