AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

If I click on my own ads will that increase CTR and QS ?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

This is a potentially stupid question :

Let's say that I have an expensive keyword with a Search Network CTR of only 1%.

Let's say that I set a really low bid for my ads during a certain time-frame with low traffic. If I click on my Ads (triggered by my most expensive keywords which now have a very low bid) will this count towards the Avg CTR which in turn can increase QS and lower the overall price ?

For example if a click on a keyword usually costs 15 $ ( 100 clicks for 1500 $ with a CTR  ) and I click on my Ad when I set the keyword cost at 1 $ ( let's say 50 clicks at 50 $) , will this increase my CTR by 50% and also my QS , resulting perhaps in a new avg. cpc of 10 $ ?

Is this a "trick" that account managers use , like the trick of inserting in the Display URL the keywords ?

Of course , avoiding a response with advice such as "why don't you create new ads for higher CTR" , is also welcome Smiley Happy

Thank you

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: If I click on my own ads will that increase CTR and QS ?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Adrian,

Trying to trick the system ? ( Caught you in public!  Smiley Happy  )

Before I get to answer this in detail, let me ask you one thing...

Why do you think you ads will still show up (for you to click yourself Smiley Happy ) if you reduce the bid from $15 to $1 ?

Thanks

Ratan

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

It is a theoretical scenario, I do not have 15 $ avg. cpc keywords, it was exagerated to make the scenario sound profitable.

On low trafic time-frames such as early morning such an ad could gain live traffic from very low positions 9-11. 

Cheating would mean breaking a rule. Could you tell me where is such a rule ? For example an adwords policy that says "do not click your own ads because it is reason for suspension" ?

I hope you have a real answer for my thread because by jumping in it just to ask a question in return you are not doing me a favour Smiley Happy

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
HI Adrian,

There is no rule against it, for 2 reasons. Firstly continuous clicks by you will be flagged as 'invalid clicks' therefore having no effect on your account.

Secondly, even if this were not the case, the practice if clicking your own ads, even in the example above, is not a sustainable practice. It would end up costing you way more than it saved you, simply because you would need to maintain a regiment of clicking your ad on a daily basis in order to achieve that additional QS, which it is highly unlikely to lead to a saving in the long run. Furthermore you would also have a negative impact on the data and AdWords will never be able to accurately judge when it is best for you for your ad to be shown, given the data of past users etc.

Let me know if this answers your question or if we should go deeper in an analysis.

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes it is helpful to read anyone's opinion.

I think by establishing a daily window when nobody else clicks would not affect statistics too much and could be an opportunity to gain very cheap clicks.

For example now in some states in USA it is 1:21 AM so if the campaigns would be targeted there, there would be low traffic at this hour. But I would be able to click, since in my time -frame it is 11:20 am. 

Yes some will be caught as invalid clicks , but this will not cause any loos in my theoretical account. If from 20 attempted clicks 10 go through at a very low cpc and increase the CTR from 1% to 10% (assuming only 100 impressions daily) , it is a successful test in my opinion.

So the main parameters here are :

- is it against the rules ? no

- does it have a negative impact on statistics : it depends

- does this practice really bring cheap clicks ? untested, maybe, maybe not , depending on google ability and willingness to validate those clicks

- does it increase CTR and in turn QS ? untested, probably yes by a point or two

- can it be profitable ? depends on

a) how expensive the avg cpc is for that keyword ( it is not the same to raise the QS for a 30$ keyword or for a 5$ keyword)

b) how low the natural CTR is , if naturally it is 1 click daily from 100 impressions, and 10 artificial clicks raise the CTR to 11 %, then it could be profitable.

Now the main question : do you think your competitors engage in this practice ?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Adrian,

I do not think anyone does this, and if it is even possible to make it a profitable endeavour.

If it is a high competition vertical, then it is not likely that there will be low competition time periods. As surprising as this may be but I think you may be over estimating how many good AdWords accounts there are out there. I have actually never taken over an account that was using ad scheduling. Now it may be a small sample, but just looking at these accounts during every time period has also shown me that the very few competitors are restricting their accounts with ad scheduling themselves.

But let us assume a both a highly competitive and competent vertical in which most competitors are using ad scheduling and there is little competition at 1:21 am. For a low QS keyword you will not be able to reduce your bid to a drastic amount as it will just not show. You are cutting your ad rank off at the legs and AdWords is more likely to not show your ad than to show a low bid low QS keyword. They are all about relevancy and low bid low QS will not show up on the SERP even without competition.

In order to get your keyword there you will need to maintain a certain minimum bid level, and because your keyword has a low QS this will mean that you will have to pay a far amount more than the $1 in your hypothetical situation.

Furthermore if we get into the nuts and bolts of it. Your QS is calculated for every auction and actual CTR is not the factor but expected CTR, which is influenced by the actual CTR, but there are other factors as well. Such as that users session data, adjusted ad position and so forth. So by clicking your own ad early in the morning you are skewing that data to generate a higher expected CTR for users similar to you and not the actual target market.

This may be an over emphasis on what effect your clicks will have on account history, I truly believe this is not a financially viable endeavour just because of everything stated previously.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok, I guess you are right.

Thanks