AdWords
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Identifying clicks created on search network (not on Google)?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I've been looking at the 'search terms' report and a very long search had been triggering impressions and clicks. It's 23 words long and was the number 1 cause of clicks in 1 campaign. I thought this was very odd and contacted Google who told me it was down to search partners on the search network, eg About.com and AOL.com highlighting the result, which then caused more clicks.

Firstly I'm not sure exactly what this means, is this familiar to anyone? Does anyone have an examples of such highlighting of ads in AOL that would create increased attention on an search ad?

Also does anyone know of a way to identify those clicks that were caused by searches on the search network (not on Google)?

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mark R
September 2015

Re: Identifying clicks created on search network (not on Google)?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mark!

If you see a search query which doesn't seem likely to be that popular, it's probably not. It could be a product name, or title tags or headings of pages, etc.
You can use Network (with search partners) report. To find it click on Segment and select Network (with search partners) and you should see a breakdown of your data by Google Search and Search Partners (on the campaign, ad group, ad and keyword level). Using Google Analytics you can easily track your traffic from search partners, site by site. Use negatives to block specific instances of your ads appearing on the search partner network. You can also choose not to show your ads on search partners by deselecting the "Includes search partners" checkbox on your campaigns settings page.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Mark,

A little addition to what has been said above, you can also drill down the Search Terms report by segment Network (with search partners) which will help you identify whether the Search queries you are getting are from Google search or the partner site. And if after reviewing these queries, if you feel that Search partners is not worth at this time, then you can disable them and run the ads only on Google search as said above.

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you very much for your help, much appreciated.

Does anyone know of any examples/screenshots of ads being highlighted in AOL and other search partners? I still don't understand how a large number of clicks for a 23 word search was caused.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hello, Mark.

I don't know about AOL, but I can tell you about Amazon. If a product is popular, its page can generate many clicks on ads, and they will be reported under the same search query (I believe the page title).

So it's not at all impossible. That 23 word search is actually a page identifier, nothing more.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.