Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Identify High Profit Keywords

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We get leads online via Google Adwords. It takes average 2-3 days before a lead gets converted for us. Profit amount varies a lot i.e for some we get $10 while a few brings $100.

I am looking to analyze keywords that brings high profit leads. For that I can use Google Adwords Conversion tracking but most users will be using separate browser session so Google Adwords will not recognize it as conversion.

I am thinking of an alternate solution where I can keep click cost, adwords keyword, campaign name etc. info in user session and save it along with Lead and analyse them for converted lead but I don't think Google Adwords passes those info when user lands via Ad. Instead they just provide gclid which does not really help.

Can any one suggest better way to retrieve Adwords click detail for this situation?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Identify High Profit Keywords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Mitul, AdWords Conversion tracking is not session-based but uses cookies to identify previous visitors from an Ad click, tracking them now up to 90 days from first click.  So, as long as your visitors use the same machine, conversion tracking should work just fine.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Cobnut!

If user has two browsers Chrome and Safari and user lands on website via Chrome but later on converts via Safari then I don't think it will track it as conversion.

In any case, we have mobile users creating leads and finishing via Desktop.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mitul M
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mitul,

I deal with a few lead-generation advertisers who also struggle with connecting their ad performance to sales returns. If you have a little programming know-how, you can grab the AdWords data from the URL when people submit on your form with manual tagging. There are a few things to learn about this before attempting:

1. You will have to turn off auto-tagging in your AdWords account and manually tag your destination urls. You can use ValueTrack URL parameters to pass the AdWords infromation to Analytics and your database. Value Track writes in the values that you request to the destination URL tage. Some data you could get in Analytics with auto-tagging, however, is sacrificed. Value Track Parameters
  2. You will have to create "hidden fields" on your web form and write a script to pull the URL values that the Value Track parameters will write and post to your database /CRM on submit of the form. 

Here's an example of a ad Destination URL with manual tagging and value track parameters:

www.my website.com?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=02+Search+-+Ireland+Travel+-+US&utm_adgroup=Traveling+To+Ireland&keyword={keyword}&matchtype={matchtype}

Once someone clicks on the ad, the URL would look like this with the values filled in:

www.mywebsite.com?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=02+Search+-+Ireland+Travel+-+US&utm_adgroup=Traveling+To+Ireland&keyword=ireland20%traveling20%guide&matchtype=p

See Manual Tagging vs Auto-Tagging

Now leads that are generated have been recorded with a source, including keyword and match type, that you can track back to if they become a sale.

Please let me know if this does not answer your question!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Rosie!