Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

'Ideal' Keyword Numbers vs The Long Tail

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi there,

I have an account with adgroups containing 10-20 keywords using Broad Match Modifier match type and it works pretty well.

I added a further adgroup last week and added 300 odd phrase matched 'long tail' keyword phrases as suggested by the adwords keyword tool. They performed well enough - CPC was down, CTR was good for those that drew impressions.

However, having talked to Google and done more research I get the impression that:

•  Generally 20-30 keywords per adgroup is considered optimum and even Google have advised that over 50 is not advisable.
  •  I've also read that the 'long tail' is low volume per keyword but if you have a large number of phrase/exact matched terms you have control and the 'tail' can provide good volume at lower cost to highly competitive terms.(From my experiment I'm often the only ad showing for long tail terms that have clear buying intent - they are converting well)

Surely the above statements contradict of each other?

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: 'Ideal' Keyword Numbers vs The Long Tail

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Chris E,

You can accomplish the second point while still following what is outlined in the first point. It's just a case of dividing your keyword list into further ad groups so that you don't have one large list. Collectively you'll still get the same volume as if all the long tail keywords were in one ad group, it's just a case that they are spread out across multiple ad groups.

While it still might seem easy enough to control or manage these keywords in one ad group, it's still a best practice to divide them by tight themes. Regardless of industry, it's usually possible to narrow 50 keywords (as an example) into smaller groups.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.