AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

I suspect someone is outclicking my Ads. How can this be checked and prevented

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi guys.

I run an ad for my website and what I've noticed (over 6 months) is: I get similar amount of clicks daily and my business is arts so my commissions come in moderate amounts. Here's the thing. They come in bulk. What I mean is - I will not hear from anyone for 2 weeks and then over a couple of days get 7-8 inquiries. All of those clients are head over heals in love with my art. So my question is - are my clients running around searching for my business in coordinated groups? Or is someone out-clicking me and when they snooze my real clients get to see my website??? I get 18-20 clicks per day. Is this to few clicks for google to notice someone's out-clicking my ad? I mean over six month of similar pattern makes me wonder!

Can I find out who's doing that or if anyone is doing it?

Best

Kate

1 Expert replyverified_user

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

HI Kate, what do you mean out by "someone out clicking me?" I'm sorry I just don't understand that terminology. Do you mean above you in the search results?

Re: I suspect someone is outclicking my Ads. How can this be checked and prevented

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi, I mean someone is clicking on my ads to use up my daily budget.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello, Katarzyna.

You can check in AdWords & Analytics to see if your clicks come from the same city, browser, etc. If they do, you can go further with your analysis and check (together with your webmaster if need be) if they come from the same IP.

If they do, there are (limited) means for blocking that/those IPs.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2456098?co=ADWORDS.IsAWNCustomer%3Dfalse&hl=en

However, please note that in case clicks come from inside a company / insitution, they may share the same IP even if they come from different browsers, so proceed with care.

Hope it helps.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Re: I suspect someone is outclicking my Ads. How can this be checked and prevented

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
The problem is, there is no Webmaster. I made my website through wix. I'm
not sure if I can check the IP addresses like that.?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Sadly you can't.

https://support.wix.com/en/article/tracing-a-visitors-ip-address

Nor can you, as they mistakenly suggest on that page, use Google Analytics for that.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Exactly... sort of disappointing. They should at least somehow provide
disguised IP's so that one could identify if someone is in fact clicking on
the add "too often than seems normal".

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Katarzyna O, there are several dimensions in Google Analytics that should normally differ from user to user. Check the audience section in Google Analytics and you'll see them there. The problem is that if you detect there might be the same user clicking, you won't be able to exclude by IP so you'll have to exclude a city, for instance. And that will limit you further.

However, even with not too many clicks per day, I assume Google would detect those invalid clicks and credit your account for them. BTW, how do invalid clicks look in that campaign? Do you see (m)any?

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

OTOH, it just hit me. I'm doing the same in many of my campaigns. Why not create an exclusion list in Google Analytics? Anybody coming through that campaign gets a one week break (by being added to a negative audience with a duration of 7 days). So you'll still pay for the first click, but if that person is a person with a browser which stores cookies (and not very web savvy) they'll only see your ad once in a week, with that browser.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

oh, that is indeed interesting. I would even go with a couple of days exclusion, not even a week. 

How do I do it? My google analytics are not connected to the adwords.