AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

I'm failing miserably on AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm failing miserably on AdWords. I've done all the wrong things. So I found, what I think is a good recipe at, http://www.searchenginejournal.com/9-tips-to-write-effective-google-adwords-copy/8279/ and started again with a new Campaign following these steps. Still no succes.

Then I read in this forum about creating landing pages for each keyword. That sounded plausible since my product cannot be explained in a single paragraph, let alone a single sentence, let alone in a single keyword. It would allow me to concentrate on a single aspect of the product and I could use all the space to create more relevance to a single keyword.

I've created a new landing page, a new Ad with new keywords from Keyword Tool. As soon as I saved the add, the QS for those keywords range from 5/10 to 10/10. But after review the QS plummets to 3/10, some keywords maybe 4/10.

Since my product is a one-of-a-kind it has no competition and also no keywords (noone will ever look for it if one has never thought of it being possible) of its own. CTR therefor is always Below Average.

What I also don't get is why my ads have mostly Below Average Ad Relevance. Whatever I do, the QS is so low that I get one or two downloads a day for an app that needs perhaps 1000+ downloads to convert into a sale. 

The ad, the keywords and the landing page contain the same and similar wordings and still Google thinks my ad is not relevant to what their own keyword finder produces.

- My app is a kind of sorting engine, so keywords, ad and landing page contain wordings like 'sort', 'sorting'.
- The application in this case is: 'sorting addresses'.
- The keywords contain words like 'addresses', 'postcode', 'zip code', 'house number', 'street'.
- The landing page has at least one crucial keyword in the title, meta tag, H1 tag and body text.

How is this 'Below Average Ad Relevance?

Should I quit AdWords al together? Is a niche product by definition 'excluded' from CPC?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: I'm failing miserably on AdWords

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Laselect and welcome to the forum.  Unfortunately, you may well be right in your final summary, but we'll come to that.

On the subject of "relevancy", it's important to understand that when Google (Adwords) talks about "relevancy" it's not just the simple relevancy of a search term to a keyword (or website).  It refers more to how relevant search users found the page once they'd clicked upon the Ad.  Google's aim is for Ads (and for that matter, organic listings) to lead people to what they're searching for and while this is often similar to just matching one word with another, just as often it's not.  As I'm sure you can imagine, trying to be "relevant" to the majority of search users for such a common word as "sorting" is going to be very difficult, if not impossible; almost every query will be about sorting 'something else' rather than looking for an app.

By your own admission you think "no one will ever look for it", so even trying to run a Search campaign is almost certainly the wrong approach.  However, all may not be lost.

As you're probably aware, you can also run campaigns based on the Display network - showing on third party websites.  Your requirement - at the moment - feels to me more like a need for "brand awareness".  You need to push your app in front of people who are not looking for it so it get some recognition and exposure.  The Display network is where to do this.

How you do this is another matter and depends greatly upon your budget and experience.  You could try a very wide-reaching campaign targeting large audiences in the hope something sticks or you could try and target specific websites that might have users with a need or interest in your sort of app already.  You may also wish to look at using a CPM (cost-per-thousand (impressions)) model rather than CPC.

Does any of this help?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
if its an app only available for tablets and phones, have you tried restricting the device targeting to these and entirely wipe "computers and laptops"?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Laselect and welcome to the forum.  Unfortunately, you may well be right in your final summary, but we'll come to that.

On the subject of "relevancy", it's important to understand that when Google (Adwords) talks about "relevancy" it's not just the simple relevancy of a search term to a keyword (or website).  It refers more to how relevant search users found the page once they'd clicked upon the Ad.  Google's aim is for Ads (and for that matter, organic listings) to lead people to what they're searching for and while this is often similar to just matching one word with another, just as often it's not.  As I'm sure you can imagine, trying to be "relevant" to the majority of search users for such a common word as "sorting" is going to be very difficult, if not impossible; almost every query will be about sorting 'something else' rather than looking for an app.

By your own admission you think "no one will ever look for it", so even trying to run a Search campaign is almost certainly the wrong approach.  However, all may not be lost.

As you're probably aware, you can also run campaigns based on the Display network - showing on third party websites.  Your requirement - at the moment - feels to me more like a need for "brand awareness".  You need to push your app in front of people who are not looking for it so it get some recognition and exposure.  The Display network is where to do this.

How you do this is another matter and depends greatly upon your budget and experience.  You could try a very wide-reaching campaign targeting large audiences in the hope something sticks or you could try and target specific websites that might have users with a need or interest in your sort of app already.  You may also wish to look at using a CPM (cost-per-thousand (impressions)) model rather than CPC.

Does any of this help?

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I forgot to say, it's an add-in for Excel/VBA. My goal is that the visitor downloads the demo as explaining in text would lead to severe cases of anti-insomnia.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jon,

I'm using only Phrase Matching with this campaign and use only multi-word phrases that always contain the word 'excel' or 'vba' or both. That should at least limit exposure to users of Excel. The other words should prevent listings at everything 'Excellent'. I also use negative keywords.

What I don't understand is that Keyword Tool supplies me with a list of keyword phrases which Google Searchers look for xxx times per month and that those keywords are suddenly 'not relevant' if I use them in conjunction with my product page. Those keywords are genuinely correct for the product or its function as described on the landing page.

So with "peanut jar" and "peanut grinder" keywords, an ad with "Grind Your Own Peanut Butter", "Peanut Butter Jars and Diesel Powered Grinders" and a page explaining how to grind your own peanut butter and clean the diesel's injectors is somehow ... irrelevant?

Isn't this EXACTLY what the googler was looking for? Keyword Tool produces statistical info, the counts are real people looking for the term, not the pages with that term on the web. So people actually type them exactly like that into Google Search and that's my targeted public. But with low QS, clicks are prohibitively expensive.

Another thing that bugs me is that when I actually *can* find my niche public I'm not allowed to advertise for better prices (due to undeserved low QS). It seems that in absence of other advertisers I'm always paying top-dollar for that number 1 spot, not what the bidder below me would have paid.

Without a higher QS to start with, I'm unable to advertise and when I do advertise placements are so rare that I never acquire any QS-boosting CTR. A true chicken and egg situation. Smiley Surprised(

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I've managed to use a search campaign AND find the people that should be interested in my solution. But for some reason I cannot figure out, despite the relevance between all parts of the puzzle (which Google sees 'differently') an initial QS of even 10/10 will drop to 3/10 when reviewed. Isn't it possible I'm doing something wrong here?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Laselect, as I said in my original post, relevancy is about much more than just matching a search term to a set of keywords.  We're not privvy to exactly how Google works out relevancy, but it is more complex than this.  To give a really detailed answer it would be useful to know your website and your keywords but I can imagine easily how keywords such as "excel vba" would still be extremely broad - even if limited by negatives.

Are you getting actual clicks?  What sort of search terms are you seeing from them, if you are?

Quality Score figures often fall (or rise!) after their initial values as the keyword collects impressions and clicks.  A part of the QS equation is historical data so obviously when the keyword is new it has no history and the QS has to be calculated without this element.  Depending on the keyword and impressions/clicks, the QS could change quite dramatically once this real data is available.

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jon,

>To give a really detailed answer it would be useful to know your website and your keywords but I can imagine easily how keywords such as "excel vba" would still be extremely broad - even if limited by negatives.

No, no, I meant "excel something_really_descriptive_to_prevent_misfiring". I've delved through the output of Keyword Tool, assuming that that is AdWord's statistical database, and cherry-picked the best long keyword phrases that also had montly traffic of some significance. This is the current list.

"code postal excel"
"excel find address"
"excel post code"
"excel postcode"
"excel postcodes"
"excel sort name"
"excel sort names"
"excel zip code"
"excel zip codes"
"postcodes in excel"
"sorting addresses in excel"
"vba find address"
"zip codes excel"
"zip codes in excel"

Google "sorting addresses in excel" (with or without quotes) and there's usually one of my ads. This one scores 4/10, Avg, Below Avg for Ad Relevance, Avg.

Not a bad result; most, if not all, links that I can see right now point EXACTLY to the one function of my product that I'm describing on the landing page: The Sorting of Addresses (I mean addresses with stuff in the wrong places, like house number in front, odd/even addresses, the proverbial "Lastname, Firstname" conundrum, etc.

These are the current ads (and the only ones ever used in this adgroup):

{KeyWord: Excel Sort House Numbers}
LAselect - Sort UK Postcodes, House
Numbers and (Street) Names in Excel
www.hasoft.com/SortAddress

Excel Sort Addresses
LAselect - Sort Zip and Postcodes,
House Numbers and Names in Excel

Excel Sort Odd Addresses
LAselect - Sort Addresses and Odd
House Numbers in Excel

The landing page: http://www.hasoft.com/sortaddress.html

>Are you getting actual clicks? What sort of search terms are you seeing from them, if you are?

This particular adgroup is only online for less than a day now and has no clicks yet. But it should produce at least some clicks right away if all is well, even with low-traffic keywords. I know, this is not a good example but it's the only one I have with a strongly targeted structure and its own landing page. Older campaigns I have produced clicks, but download to click ratio was too low to mistake the public for potential clients. That traffic came mostly from the Display Network.

This adgroup may never score many clicks, due to its low search volume. But my add-in has many more tricks up his sleeve and I could make many focused adgroups/keywords/landing pages. All combined could draw enough traffic to the site.

>Depending on the keyword and impressions/clicks, the QS could change quite dramatically once this real data is available.

Since the keywords came from their own database one could be lead to believe they also have other statistical info. And, seeing the result right after adding new keywords, it looks that they do. Each and every time I get high QS and low-cost clicks and those must come from somewhere; it would not be randomly generated.

So the million dollar question is: Why do they change their mind while nothing changes awaiting review? And why is the change so extreme? A week ago I 'requested' a whole bunch of new keywords and 24 of them got rated 10/10 and cost 0.01 euro. After the review,all went down to 3/10 and prices went up to 1-2-3 and more euros per click.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi laselect, unfortunately I can't answer the million dollar question!  All I can say is that yes, Quality Score does use data gathered from other advertisers and yes, it definitely is affected by historical - and current data, most especially CTR.  I can only repeat that on the relevancy side, Google's "history" for these sort of terms proves poor(ish) user experience.

This isn't really that surprising to me.  Excel is a truly massive subject on the web and pretty much any keyword you pick - even longish phrase matched ones like yours - are going to pick up searches that aren't for your product.  Just off the top of my head I can think of a handful people might use: - "conditional format postcodes in excel", "capitalise excel post code", etc.  I do honestly think you'll struggle to get a high relevancy score here - and importantly, it may not be your fault.

Not all keywords can get a 10/10 rating because of their performance "across the board".  It may be that in this case, 4/10 is actually a reasonable score.  You can get an idea of this once you start to gather data by using the comparitive columns within your account.  If your CTR is higher than most then you're probably doing OK.

You should also try and think in a different way.  Rather than focusing so heavily on numbers, look instead at the ROI.  Again, it may be that you cannot improve the performance of the keywords.

I have to say I think the Ad copy itself could be improved - you have no clear call-to-action, for example, and I personally wouldn't waste the character space on your name.  I think perhaps the site landing page itself could also be improved - it's a bit "texty" and stark at the moment (although it's nice and fast).

Overall, I think you need to wait to gather some data - at least a week - before you can make reasonable decisions.  Adwords always takes a while to "settle down" and if you make too many changes too often early on, you're forever swinging around wildly.

I hope some of this helps, do come back after a week or so and see if anything has changed.

Jon