AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

I am thinking of using a different domain name for my ads. Is this allowable?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I think the name of our business may be misleading, and that people think we only sell a specific type of product/service, but in fact, it's much broader than our name. (For example, if our name was "poodlecare.com" when we really service all kinds of dogs). I am thinking of switching to different, more generic domain name for the ad campaign (i.e. glenwooddogcare.com), so that people are more likely to click through & get to the page first before making a decision. Is this allowable? I know I would need to shut down the campaign to our main URL.  I don't plan to change the actual business name as we've been in business for several years.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi Rosalyn,

Thanks for posting to the Community, you’ve asked a great question.

Per our policy guidelines, destination mismatch is prohibited. For instance, a display URL that reflects “www.abc.com” but leads to “www.xyz.com” wouldn’t be allowed.

In regards, the website or app shown in your ad (display URL) must accurately show which website or app a potential customer will be taken to when they click on your ad (landing page).

To learn more about this policy, refer to this article.

I hope this helps answer your question!

Best,

Spencer

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, it looks like my reply never went through; I will try again...

I intend to have the landing page at www.abc.com, but my main site is at www.xyz.com.  That's allowable right?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rosalyn W
January 2017

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Rosalyn W

as long as your display url and final url = abc.com, that is okay. 

I understand your reasoning for doing this. I would just make sure to monitor results, and even perhaps some sort of test to see if your hypothesis is true.  I'm not sure how long you've been using your xyz.com domain, but there is something to be said for building a brand.