AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

I am getting leads from trade-restricted countries. (e.g. Iran, Syria). How do I prevent this?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I work for a software company. I'm running an international AdWords campaign. The targeting on this doesn't target any countries in particular; it just excludes about 60 countries where we have partners and I don't want to run ads.

In the past couple of months I've gotten 2 leads from Iran and 3 from Syria. Because these are trade-restricted countries, my sales reps can't follow up on them, so they're basically worthless. I've tried excluding these countries (and others like Cuba, North Korea, etc.) from my targeting, but it doesn't look like it's even available as an option.

Any idea how people in these countries are seeing my ads? One sidenote: today I changed "People in, searching for, or who show interest in my targeted location" to "People in my targeted location" at the recommendation of a PPC consultant friend. But because my targeted location is anywhere except my excluded countries, I don't know that that explains how I got the leads. I appreciate any help you can offer!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
December 2016

I am getting leads from trade-restricted countries. (e.g. Iran, Syria). How do I prevent this?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Brooke F,

As per your new settings- target: People in my targeted location, the ads will be restricted only to those users who are physically located in your targeting locations.

If you want target it Internationally, revert the settings to "People in, searching for, or who show interest in my targeted location".

Note that if your keywords, website/landing page and ads are in English language only, then target those countries where English is the official or spoken in targeting countries. Otherwise, keywords, website/landing page and ads in English will not have good results if you target these in Arabic speaking countries.

Else, you need to setup multiple campaigns with keywords, website/landing page and ads in different languages for different countries.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey there!

You're right - geotargeting is restricted in some countries. In this case, one solution could be to exclude regions based on radius targeting. This option will allow you to select a point on the map and exclude the area around it by a radius defined by you. It's available in advanced location settings (Advanced search). 

Hope this helps!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
December 2016

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Brooke F,

As per your new settings- target: People in my targeted location, the ads will be restricted only to those users who are physically located in your targeting locations.

If you want target it Internationally, revert the settings to "People in, searching for, or who show interest in my targeted location".

Note that if your keywords, website/landing page and ads are in English language only, then target those countries where English is the official or spoken in targeting countries. Otherwise, keywords, website/landing page and ads in English will not have good results if you target these in Arabic speaking countries.

Else, you need to setup multiple campaigns with keywords, website/landing page and ads in different languages for different countries.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’