AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Huge increase in Brand Keyword CPC

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've had a brand campaign going for 3+ months, since January 2016.  One of my Brand KWs has had an avg CPC of $0.81 since then. In March 2016 it was $0.49, sometimes as low as $0.20.  However on April 1 I went to Targetted CPA & the CPC wen to $1.28 for the first 2 weeks of April.  However this week, it was $0.30 on Monday, $1.87 on Tuesday, and then $8.05 on Wednesday?  How can an exact match brand KW with a QS of 9 jump from $0.30 to $8.05 in 2 days???  Thursday it went down to $4.42 and today by mid-morning it is at $0.20?

Any explanation for this erratic behaviour? All other KWs in that AdGroup have been behaving normally.

Thank you!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Huge increase in Brand Keyword CPC

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Carl S have you tried breaking down the clicks into smaller segment chunks?  Was it, for example, that you had some hugely expensive clicks at only one hour of the day, or in only one geographical region, or only on mobile?  How many clicks in a day are you getting?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
You might just have a competitor who is experimenting with bidding crazy high on your brand name. If seen that happen even to big companies. If its just a crazy competitor, they'll probably give up on the experiment after a while.

Building on what Jon said about segments, do you use bid modifiers? Device, location, and scheduled adjustments are cumulative, so its possible to accidentally create "bullesyes" where a combination of two or three adjustments raises your bid very high. I've seen cases where one click in a bulleye skewed the daily CPC for a low-traffic keyword.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Jon, Michael. I did look at the segments a bit closer & nothing jumped out. Also, I don't use bid modifiers. However while looking at search terms, while not a competitor, I think another brand may have caused this. Our brand name is ctc TrainCanada. We provide IT & computer skills training. However, I have to add a ton of negative keywords in there to not get clicks from people looking to take a train trip. I only use [traincanda] and "traincanada" as KWs, none with it as 2 words, except [ctc train canada]. However on that day of the high bids, the guilty search terms where train canada Exact (close variant). I know Via Rail here in Canada bids on train canada so I have a feeling they drove up that bid. Its a tricky one as many people will search our brand as train canada with 2 words.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Switching CPC to CPA takes sometime to settle down probably 1 month. Olso you need to see your competitors insight by viewing details and find is there any someone trying abnormal bidding on your Brand Terms.
Also see ur bidding strategy have you fixed it for 1st position.

Thanks
Vivek

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
I agree with @vivek k - often a switch to CPA leaves the system struggling to find the sweet spot. It tends to depend upon the number of conversions you are getting - the more the merrier - if you only get a few then the system has problems and will be "testing" different bid strategies to try and figure out what's going on.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
As an update, yesterday the CPC for this KW was $3.16, today it was $13.43! I couldn't see a competitor bidding on it, just the train company. I think I have no choice but to go back to manual CPC & cap this KW.