AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Huge drop in Quality Score

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there!

I saw a huge drop in our overall quality score (measured by a script and spreadsheet) for yesterday, from almost 7 in average to 5 down in average.

A first look shows the issue probably is the Landing Page Experience, which is below average at almost every keyword now.

There are many different Landingpages as well as different kinds of Landing Pages (product lists, home, product details) so it looks like a general penalty to our site was applied.

Here's the URL to a common Landing Page: http://www.printart.ch/site/private-leinwandbilder-poster-dibond-acrylglas

Anyone else had similar issues? Did Google change the algorithm for judging Landing Page Experience?

Thanks for your answer.

Florian

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Florian Ryter
September 2015

Re: Huge drop in Quality Score

Top Contributor
# 12
Top Contributor
Google ads just posted a quick update - https://plus.google.com/u/0/+GoogleAds/posts/UZMcjQ84WC7

Nice work here guys, gathering info and sharing insights!

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I can confirm I have the same issue. I use labels to keep track of QS in the interface level and the keywords labeled 9/10 now have a 6/10 , and all keywords lost 2-3 QS points. I updated the keyword labels just yesterday so the change occured this morning.

QS8 are now QS6 , QS7 are QS4. I hope it is a temporary technical glitch.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Adrian

Thanks for your reply.

I couldn't see any changes in average position (which would be the case when bids remain unchanged while QS drops) so this supports your "technical glitch" theory.

I will run the script tomorrow again and keep you updated about the changes.

Kind Regards
Florian

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Just spoken to someone at Google and this is a widespread issue/bug that has affected many accounts in the UK. Their engineers are looking into it but they couldn't give a timeframe when it will be fixed

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I also spoke to Google and they are being inundated with calls about this. They couldn't give me too much detail but hinted that this is worldwide and due to a tweak in the algorithm for landing page quality (specifically for mobile). They did confirm that the change to QS was perhaps harsher than expected and the technicians are looking into it (and may reverse the drop to some extent).

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

When I look at the segment Time by hour , the avg. Cpc are also increasing as a result of lower QS.

Is it April first today ? Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I read some where recently that Google share holders are pressurizing their management that they are unable to hit Mobile revenue targets and they changed their CFO also. Looks like they are transferring some of that pressure on advertisers.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Same experience with my account in Germany.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

we have the same issues for all our accounts worldwide. At our request, a Google employee shared with us that the problem is most likely just an issue with Quality Score reporting and that other auction time signals of quality, such as bids, should not be affected. Nonetheless, we’ve seen cost increases of up to 250%!

So please be cautious, especially with the weekend around the corner. You can find some tips on how to probably react here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I can confirm we are showing the same issue. A drop of about 3-4 QS across all our accounts.