AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Huge disparity between clicks and sign up to my site.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I notice that there is a HUGE disparity between the number of clicks and the number of signup to my site. All my ads indicate that my site is related to dating. Such as, find a date in your area tonight. Meet local girls in your area, etc. So my ads are not misleading at all. I can get up to 10,000 clicks and only have 50 - 100 sign ups. That just boogles my mind. And it is not my site that is the issue. My site is fast, well orginzed and easy to navigate. Futhermore, visitors to the site are asked to sign up after view 3 pages. Any suggestion on why this could be would be appreciated.

Site: http://goo.gl/nbcWl

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author FrankandBeans
September 2015

Re: Huge disparity between clicks and sign up to my site.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi FrankandBeans, there are no rules or guidelines to help when considering clicks vs signups (or sales).  Some sites have a very high ratio, others very low.

In your case I think it's quite likely that many of the clicks you're receiving are from people who are looking for something other than that your site provides.  Dating/meeting people has a lot of connotations and variations and I wouldn't find it surprising that many of your click visitors feel your site simply isn't what they want.

In all cases, rather than looking at the raw click data consider your Return on Investment.  Are you earning more through sign-ups than you are spending on Adwords?  If the answer is yes, then in some respects the actual ratio of clicks to sign-ups becomes less important and you may simply have to accept that your business is one of those that has a low ratio.  Of course, improvement is always good - we'd all like a 1:1 ratio of clicks to sales.

I would look closely at your keywords and ad copy.  As you say, your site is fast and well laid out so I'd suggest the "problem" (such as may exist) is with who sees the ads and what they read on the ad copy, rather than the site itself (still bearing in mind that I believe your business will tend to have a low sign-up rate).  Make sure you're not casting your net too wide with broad keywords and ensure your ad copy truly reflects the nature of your site.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Frank and Beans

I would assume, and I stress that this is only an unqualified opinion, that the visitors to your site and indeed people looking for the service that you provide, would do a lot of research, a hell of a lot of research before they sign up to this type of service. I would also assume that they would visit a lot of different websites of this nature and indeed re-visit your site on numerous occasions.  

However, one interesting thing you mention and maybe you could give us a little more clarification on it, you say "visitors to the site are asked to sign up after view 3 pages" - what exactly do you mean by that? How are they asked to sign up? What exactly are your sites bounce rate stats - i.e. at what stage are visitors leaving your site.

One other thing I noticed in your post, and please do not take offence to this as none is meant, and I am aware that you offer a reputable service - you say in your post "find a date in your area tonight. Meet local girls in your area" - could this not be mis read or attract the wrong type of visitor to your website? Just a thought.

Any let us know and hopefully we can help.

Dave

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi FrankandBeans, there are no rules or guidelines to help when considering clicks vs signups (or sales).  Some sites have a very high ratio, others very low.

In your case I think it's quite likely that many of the clicks you're receiving are from people who are looking for something other than that your site provides.  Dating/meeting people has a lot of connotations and variations and I wouldn't find it surprising that many of your click visitors feel your site simply isn't what they want.

In all cases, rather than looking at the raw click data consider your Return on Investment.  Are you earning more through sign-ups than you are spending on Adwords?  If the answer is yes, then in some respects the actual ratio of clicks to sign-ups becomes less important and you may simply have to accept that your business is one of those that has a low ratio.  Of course, improvement is always good - we'd all like a 1:1 ratio of clicks to sales.

I would look closely at your keywords and ad copy.  As you say, your site is fast and well laid out so I'd suggest the "problem" (such as may exist) is with who sees the ads and what they read on the ad copy, rather than the site itself (still bearing in mind that I believe your business will tend to have a low sign-up rate).  Make sure you're not casting your net too wide with broad keywords and ensure your ad copy truly reflects the nature of your site.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Frank and Beans

I would assume, and I stress that this is only an unqualified opinion, that the visitors to your site and indeed people looking for the service that you provide, would do a lot of research, a hell of a lot of research before they sign up to this type of service. I would also assume that they would visit a lot of different websites of this nature and indeed re-visit your site on numerous occasions.  

However, one interesting thing you mention and maybe you could give us a little more clarification on it, you say "visitors to the site are asked to sign up after view 3 pages" - what exactly do you mean by that? How are they asked to sign up? What exactly are your sites bounce rate stats - i.e. at what stage are visitors leaving your site.

One other thing I noticed in your post, and please do not take offence to this as none is meant, and I am aware that you offer a reputable service - you say in your post "find a date in your area tonight. Meet local girls in your area" - could this not be mis read or attract the wrong type of visitor to your website? Just a thought.

Any let us know and hopefully we can help.

Dave

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks David,

When a user views more than 3 pages of the site they are redirected to a sign up page. I will look into what you suggested. Thanks.