Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Huge Impression Share (rank) Lost, but yet consuming all my daily budget

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello,

I am trying to improve my campaigns, for that I am focusing on different things and one if it is my Lost IS(rank) number. I have some campagins with >90% of IS(rank) lost which is huge, but what I can not understand is if those campagins are so "bad" that they are loosing a lot of impressions because of Ad Rank, why are they consuming my daily budget or even more every day? What would change if I improve my Ad Rank? I don't wont to spend more.

Will improving my Ad Rank make my costs go down?

Thanks agian for helping me!

Smiley Happy

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Huge Impression Share (rank) Lost, but yet consuming all my daily budget

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Yakito,

Ad rank is a combination of QS and bid, so improving your ad rank will not exactly lower your costs. Improving your QS will or should lower your CPC. The best way to improve QS is to improve the CTR on your keywords. Do that by reorganizing your campaign and ad groups so you can write ad copy the more closely matches your keywords.

The next question is why you are losing impression share. If it's due to budget and you don't want to spend more, this probably won't improve much. This leads to my questions. What's your conversion rate? Is this an eCommerce site? If yes, are you getting good ROI and conversions? If yes, why not increase your budget?

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Yakito,

Under the scenario you describe the daily budget may get depleted because if the lost IS (rank) was smaller the daily budget would not be enough to support the campaign through the 24 Hours of the day. If you managed to improve the Ad Rank either you'd pay less for clicks or your Ad Position would improve probably along with the volume of clicks. (Or both, under fortunate circumstances.) 

I'd note that Rank=Bid*QS where QS is the Quality Score. If you don't wish to bid higher your only option is to increase the QS.

Best,

Lakatos

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi  Yakito,

All you need is to focus on "Quality Score".

Quality Score affecting the following things in your account:

Ad auction eligibility: Higher Quality Scores make it easier and cheaper for a keyword to enter the ad auction.

Your keyword's actual cost-per-click (CPC): Higher Quality Scores lead to lower CPCs. That means you pay less per click when your keyword has a higher Quality Score.

Your keyword's first page bid estimate: Higher Quality Scores lead to lower first page bid estimates. That means it's easier for your ad to show on the first page of search results when your keyword has a higher Quality Score.

Your keyword's top of page bid estimate: Higher Quality Scores lead to lower top of page bid estimates. That means it's easier for your ad to show towards the top of the page when your keyword has a higher Quality Score.

Ad position: Higher Quality Scores lead to higher ad positions. That means your ad can show up higher on the page when your keyword has a higher Quality Score.

In a nutshell, higher Quality Scores typically lead to lower costs and better ad positions.

Also, know bidding strategy basics -

To get the best results from your campaign, it's important to know how to bid strategically. There are two basic steps to strategic bidding:

1. Identify how much your keywords cost in comparison to how much revenue they bring in.

2. Adjust your bids to maximize your return on investment.

Hope it help!

Thanks
Brijesh

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks a lot, I will try reorganizing my campaign and improving my QS to see how it reacts! thanks!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks, I will definetly refocus on improving my QS and campaign order! thanks a lot for your time!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks a lot Petebardo! I will try improving my QS and reorganizing my campaign which I think might be one of the main issues I have as I have everything under just 1 Ad Group.

Regarding my conversion rate, its good, I could increase my daily budget, but for some reason I am scared that doing that will increase the bid on my keywords and not the quantity of clicks I get.

I will start with the reorganization. Thanks so much for all the help, I am learning a lot from the forum