AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How would I add these negative keywords?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I would like to weed out

rv solar

solar rv

So I tried adding

solar rv

(i.e. broad negative match), but this had the problem of killing impressions on things I wanted, like "solar electric vehicle".

How would i go about adding these EXACT keywords, except that adwords should know that order doesn't matter?

(I.e. I do not want "rv solar", "solar rv", "solar powered rv", "rv  solar power", etc.)

2 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

You can use "Phrase" and [Exact Match]

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi taewoo,

You can add negatives using both Phrase and Exact match.

I would suggest you employ phrase match with the examples you provided. You'll be able to catch other relevant similar search terms that way. add "buy", "price", "cost" etc...to any of those keywords you listed (solar rv price), they'll be covered if you use negative phrase match on "solar rv".

You are going to have to list multiple versions of the keywords as the broad match modifier doesn't work with negative broad match.  The broad match modifier is how you can achieve the 'any order' designation for positive keywords.

-"solar rv" and -"rv solar"

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Hi taewoo,   In addition to excellent response from Tom,...

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi taewoo,

In addition to excellent response from Tom, I would also like to suggest you about Negative keywords List, where you can decide which keywords are totally irrelevant for your whole account and you can add those negatives inside that list and then assign that list to the campaigns where you want. In your case it is better to include phrase and Exact matches as negatives as pointed by Tom.

Just a thought!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Double plus stars to everyone!   It seems like negative p...

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Double plus stars to everyone!

It seems like negative phrase match "rv solar", "solar rv", "solar powered rv", "rv  solar power", etc." at every level you can find (adgroup, campaign, account) the easiest way you can find it, would accomplish the objective.

How do I add, edit, or delete negative keywords?

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=115438

Negative phrase match of any of those terms would not prevent the query 'solar electric vehicle' from showing an ad (if the query would otherwise trigger an ad).

BTW taewoo - What kind of "solar electric vehicle" are we talking about here? Who's G+ profile should I follow to find out more? Smiley Happy

Tom

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

You can use "Phrase" and [Exact Match]

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi taewoo,

You can add negatives using both Phrase and Exact match.

I would suggest you employ phrase match with the examples you provided. You'll be able to catch other relevant similar search terms that way. add "buy", "price", "cost" etc...to any of those keywords you listed (solar rv price), they'll be covered if you use negative phrase match on "solar rv".

You are going to have to list multiple versions of the keywords as the broad match modifier doesn't work with negative broad match.  The broad match modifier is how you can achieve the 'any order' designation for positive keywords.

-"solar rv" and -"rv solar"

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Hi taewoo,   In addition to excellent response from Tom,...

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi taewoo,

In addition to excellent response from Tom, I would also like to suggest you about Negative keywords List, where you can decide which keywords are totally irrelevant for your whole account and you can add those negatives inside that list and then assign that list to the campaigns where you want. In your case it is better to include phrase and Exact matches as negatives as pointed by Tom.

Just a thought!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Double plus stars to everyone!   It seems like negative p...

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Double plus stars to everyone!

It seems like negative phrase match "rv solar", "solar rv", "solar powered rv", "rv  solar power", etc." at every level you can find (adgroup, campaign, account) the easiest way you can find it, would accomplish the objective.

How do I add, edit, or delete negative keywords?

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=115438

Negative phrase match of any of those terms would not prevent the query 'solar electric vehicle' from showing an ad (if the query would otherwise trigger an ad).

BTW taewoo - What kind of "solar electric vehicle" are we talking about here? Who's G+ profile should I follow to find out more? Smiley Happy

Tom