AdWords
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How to write better ads, keywords & improve quality scores?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

OK, I know, it sounds like I want it all. Smiley Happy

But we're a small home based business and we have to work hard to make every advertising dollar count for us. We're barely paying the bills in this economy and can't afford to waste a thing, and we need better results for the money.

So here's what we got. Our site is at http://ColoradoProcessServers.net

This is for a text ad campaign on the search network. I haven't found that using the display network in this same campaign is in any way effective, and it blows through our small budget VERY quickly without getting us calls from clients, to book work with us, which is the bottom line. We  don't care one bit about "clicks", only about how many people book work with us. And that coincidentally has to do with how many visits we get. On a typical day we only get 20 site visits with this economy, and that's with spending around $120 a month on Adwords.

I've tried graphic and text display ads in another campaign and it hasnt generated enough site visits. I guess people are reading something they're interested in, and don't even see our display ads on the side somewhere.

Our biggest challenges are with writing text ads that precisely target people who are in the United States ( only ) and are LOOKING for someone to serve their court documents in the Denver area ONLY. Because of our company name, we get people thinking that we cover ALL of Colorado, when the name just indicates that we are IN Colorado, so our ads need to really drive home that we cover the Denver area, which I've tried to make them do.

Then keyword quality scores. I think I know what keywords we need, to attract clients, but NONE of our quality scores are over 7, and it seems to make no sense to me why.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to write better ads, keywords & improve quality scores?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Melissa,

Have you set your geo-targeting to Denver? If not, I would do that and probably set to include "search intent", as people outside the Denver area may need your service in the Denver area.

I would suggest a slight change in your display url. Instead of ColoradoProcessServers.net, try ColoradoProcessServers.net/Denver

That will help qualify your prospects. Also, try to include Denver in your ad copy to filter out folks who need similar services but not in Denver.

That's all I have. BEst of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Melissa,

As for local process serving with a tight budget, I would not have run image ads on the Display Network. Much rather a text ad on the Search Network. The Display Network typically serves purposes other than getting orders. (i.e. branding)

Process Server Denver, CO

Serving Summons & Subpoenas in the

Denver area. Experienced & Local.

ColoradoProcessServers.net

Something like the above copy. Play with the Location Targeting feature (the map!) on the Settings page so as to find the geo-target which suits your purposes the most.  

I can't comment on your Quality Scores, they are not bad at all. On the other hand they also depend on some factors which are beyond your control.

Best,

Lakatos

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Yep, Pete is right, you can still jam a few characters into the Display URL. It will read:

Process Server Denver, CO

Serving Summons & Subpoenas in the

Denver area. Experienced & Local.

ColoradoProcessServers.net/Denver

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello Melissa, welcome;

To follow with Pete and Lakatos (who was posting while I was typing ...)

Here is an article on Geo-targeting, that explains "search intent " settings:

How to Use and Understand Location Targeting;

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

petebardo wrote:

Hi Melissa,

Have you set your geo-targeting to Denver? If not, I would do that and probably set to include "search intent", as people outside the Denver area may need your service in the Denver area.

Not sure what you mean, or how to do that Pete. I think one of Google's phone reps was suggesting something like that, one time, but I had no idea what he meant, especially with that accent they have.

I would suggest a slight change in your display url. Instead of ColoradoProcessServers.net, try ColoradoProcessServers.net/Denver

That will help qualify your prospects. Also, try to include Denver in your ad copy to filter out folks who need similar services but not in Denver.

Pete

I'll take a look at the display url, thanks!

Yes, I do try to include Denver in the copy, always have.

Thanks for the article on location targeting, I need to go read it. Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

petebardo wrote:

Hi Melissa,

Pete

Pete, this is where I get confused. I want people only in the continental United States ( including Alaska ) to SEE my Adwords ads, but I ONLY want people who are searching for services in my defined area ( see http://coloradoprocessservers.net/coveragearea.html ) to see them. These are two separate defined conditions that I'm not quite sure can be setup, though you seem to be saying they can.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Melissa,

Sorry to take so long to get back to you.

I am suggesting you set geo-targeting to Denver, CO, only. That won't prevent your ad from showing to a person in England who includes "Denver" in the query, but if Denver is included in the query, that might be  a good prospect for you anyway. And your ad could be eligible to show to people in Canada.

Then go into the campaign settings tab and find the location targeting section and expand that. "Include search intent" is enabled by default, and that's what you want here. But go make sure it hasn't benn changed to "location based only".

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords