AdWords
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How to track clicks from Google IP addresses?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

We all receive clicks from Google IP addresses. However, these clicks add up with the normal user clicks in our custom software to track Adwords clicks. We excluded a few Google IPs from which we used to receive clicks in our reporting. However, we see clicks from new Google IP addresses everytime.

How can we filter such IPs from tracking so it does not show more clicks in our custom dashboard?

Any ideas will really help!

Regards,

Ravi Mittal

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to track clicks from Google IP addresses?

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

This is a similar answer to your question:- 

"Google doesn't post a public list of IP addresses for webmasters to whitelist. This is because these IP address ranges can change, causing problems for any webmasters who have hard coded them. "

The bottom line is that it's impossible to cover all Google's IPs as it always changes.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Ravi, not sure if this is what you're looking for, but did you know there is now a new setting in the Analytics view settings to exclude all known bots and spiders?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ravimittal
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Ravi,

Tracking AdWords clicks by the referrer or by page views is just not a good way to go about identifying AdWords clicks. The best way is to use auto-tagging and look for the presence of a gclid value in the query string. You'll still get a few false-positive from bookmarks that include the gclid value, but it's much more reliable data overall.

I really recommend changing your custom software to work this way.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Ahmed,

Thanks for the response. I almost lost faith in the solution until Petebardo responded with a fair way of looking at it. I guess tracking clicks with Gclids will do the job effectively!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Cobnut,

Thanks for the response. We have our own tracking mechanism on our site where every click is stored in the DB with the tracking data. We do not use Analytics for precision checking. Analytics does give an overall picture, but we check performance and keyword level and there it becomes crucial to track the accurate data.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Peterbardo,

Your solution is pretty good. We will modify our queries in such a way that we track Gclids as well do we will have precise data to check since Google IPs will not have Gclids and so will any random click from Adwords dashboard. Quite a simple solution which I could not think of!

Thanks a ton!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks all!

As Peterbardo said, the ideal way of tracking such clicks would be to see if such traffic is coming with a Gclid. If it does not, it is possibly a Google IP or some test source from the Adwords dashboard. Any click accompanied with Gclid would be the correct traffic to track!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yeah, had the same problem once, thinking that google "clicks" on our ads to spend our money. Turned out the visits were simple crawls from the googlebot, and let's face it, how else can google determine the quality of the landing page without crawling the page? But when we checked the full URLs of the visits from google IPs, turned out they didn't have that gclid appended, so we simply ignored those ones.

Anyway, in your case, if you didn't use at least auto-tagging, you're losing precious traffic stats from your adwords campaigns. I guess this is the essential step of every campaign, first setup those auto-tags or tag the URLs manually, but only if you know what you're doing. If not, stick to the auto-tagging initially, it's much better than not having the tags at all.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the reply Iulian! Smart thinking! We are going to implement the same and yes we do have the tagging system which I am sure will work even well once the 'only glicd' data is tracked!