AdWords
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How to tell if mobile traffic is converting?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Is there a way to tell in adwords if mobile traffic is converting, and if so, cost/conversion?

Re: How to tell if mobile traffic is converting?

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey Taewoo,

There are a few ways to measure mobile campaign traffic. Are you sending AdWords traffic to a mobile site?

1.) If you have ad extension enabled, specifically click-to-call and locations, you can segment your clicks by click type. This allows you to see if your mobile campaign is generating click-to-calls or direction requests directly from the ad. Click the 'Segment' drop down and choose 'Click Type' to view.

2.) AdWords also allows you to add conversion tracking to a phone number on your mobile site. Click the green 'Tools & Analysis' tab and select 'Conversions'. You will need to create a new conversion for a 'call'. Be prepared to edit code on your site.

3.) Import goal or event tracking from Google Analytics.

Thanks,

BlueIon

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Taewoo, 

Mobile traffic will appear exactly as regular traffic does within the AdWords interface but to view it separately you have segment the traffic in either one of two ways:

a) The first and the recommended strategy is to set up mobile traffic in its own campaign. Doing this can be quite simple and the best strategy is just to duplicate (copy/paste) the campaigns within AdWords editor and then change the setting on the duplicated campaign to show only on mobile devices while ensuring to turn off mobile device targeting for the original campaign (Make sure to label the campaigns ie Campaign 1 - Mobile, Campaign 1 - Desktop). This way any future data that comes through will be separated by device and you will clearly be able to get conversion data from mobile. Once this is done you can now start to optimise the campaigns differently to help improve performance rather than just assuming that the same optimisations should apply across all devices.

N.B - Be careful how you treat Tablet devices, many assume to assign these to the mobile campaign but in reality the user experience is more likely closer to that of a desktop computer. 

b) The second is to view data already recieved - you can do this using the segment function within the Google AdWords interface. 

Just below the Campaigns, AdGroups, Settings etc. tabs there is a menu named 'Segment' if you drop that down and choose device it will instantly segment your selection in the table below by device type. This way you can analyse the results from different devices separately. This can also be done when downloading reports too. 

Hope that this info helps - let me know if you need anything more specific. 

Setting Up A Mobile-Only Campaign

Segments For Mobile

-M

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Darn.. no.. i did not separate out mobile campaign separate from tablet/pc campaign

By  the way.. does client side JS conversion tracking work on mobile? I've been reading that it's not reliable... but then again, those posts were quite old and mobile browsers have been upgraded since but thought i'd ask

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Taewoo, 

It's not a problem that you haven't done so already it's not to late to do it now. If you need editor help or anything further let me know.

I'm not sure of the current stats for Mobile Javascript adoption rates and can't seem to find them anywhere at the moment. I know that there has been significant improvements in the rates over the last 2 years though. 

Thanks, 

M