AdWords
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How to target Generic KeyWords by gender ?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

I'm having this issue, I'm running an e-commerce website, and we have a lot of generic Key Words as Slim Jeans ... 

First we believed, the bets solution was in creating 3 different campaigns, one for men, one for women and one for "general". 

But the truth is, we don't want to have as a landing page a page with gender mixed products, because is proven that ahs huge bounce rate etc etc

Which is the best to solution ? Should I duplicate the same key words for the different ad groups (men and Women) ? 

Any suggestion ? 

Many thanks

Grace

Re: How to target Generic KeyWords by gender ?

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Grace,

Just so I understand, you do want to target both genders. You just don't want to send them to the same landing page (with both men's and women's slim jeans for instance).

This is probably the way I would do it based on the info I have and using the slim jeans example. Create the following campaigns. If the volume is not high or conversion rates are similar across the board, then I might merge the campaigns.

So you have campaigns:

• Campaign: Women
    • Contains: keywords with female qualifiers in keywords
    • Audience Targeting: everyone
    • Landing page: women's slim jeans
  • Campaign: Men
    • Contains: keywords with male qualifiers in keywords
    • Audience Targeting: everyone
    • Landing page: men's slim jeans
  • Campaign: No Gender Qualifier
    • Contains: keywords with no gender qualifiers in keywords
    • Audience Targeting: target each group with their respective demo target (men=men, women=women, and unknown = unknown)
    • Landing page: women, men and mixed

In the gender campaigns you would have groups with keywords that reference their respective gender, e.g. "slim jeans for men" in the Men's campaign.

In the "no gender qualifier" campaigns you would have groups with keywords similar to "slim jeans" (i.e. no gender added). Make 3 identical ad groups with the same keywords/match types.

Slim Jeans - Men

Slim Jeans - Women

Slim Jeans - Unknown

Under each group go to the audience tab > targeting > ad group target the respective gender (Slim Jeans - Men would target men, uncheck women and unknown).

Now, the problem is you still don't know what those people are looking for in terms of gender. Just because a woman is searching doesn't mean they are looking for women's jeans. And unknown, you won't know either way.

So I would take this a step further and split-test landing pages. If you use Google Analytics, it has Google Content Experiments which makes it easy. https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1745152?hl=en

For instance, for the Slim Jeans Women's group split-test between mixed and women's page. For Slim Jeans - Men split between mixed and a men's page. For unknown, I would test all 3. Once you see which is performing better for each, (conversions and/or behavioral metrics) just use that landing page. The stats will move in the wrong direction when you do because the people that did want the opposite gender will bounce and/or not convert.

My gut tells me most men are probably buying for themselves because frankly, I would never clothes shop for my wife unless she asked me to order something for her. However, that's why testing is important.

I hope that helped and pardon any typos.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I have read the complete thread & like to mention @David G you answered the question so nicely.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi David, first of all thank you so much for your reply. 

It's make sense what you said. But I was thinking, and maybe i have other solution, once right now i don't have mixed landing pages. 

What do you think, on creating 4 different ads for "slim jeans" AG, with generic Key words:

1 Mentioning "men" on the copy and landing page with men products

1 Mentioning "women" on the copy and landing page with women jeans

1 General not mentioning the gender but with women landing page - targeting Demo Women and unknown 

1 General not mentioning the gender but with men landing page - targeting Demo Men and unknown  

Do I have any risk ? or it can be a good solution ?  

Thanks, 

Grace