Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How to split out Remarketing & Conservative or Aggressive Sales

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

I read a lot of articles around using Conservative, or Aggressive targeting, in order to expand remarketing campaigns around your chosen CPA. However, I haven't seen any information on how to split out stats. 

For example - can I add Conservative targeting to a current Remarketing AdGroup. 

Wait a few weeks. 

Then go in to AdWords and split out Sales from the Remarketing list & Sales from the Conservative targeting?

Rather than just saying, "before I applied Conservative I have 100 clicks & 10 sales in a week. Now I have applied Conservative, the same AdGroup has received 200 clicks & 20 sales."

Any help would be appreciated, as I'm not confident Targeting Optimisation is as effective as we are led to believe!

Thanks,

Matt  

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to split out Remarketing & Conservative or Aggressive Sale

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Matthew B as far as I'm aware there's no way to report upon the additional targeting provided by these settings, though it could be argued that if you see an increase in conversions when the setting is applied - and you experiment sufficiently to be moderately certain the cause is the additional targeting, then it's still worth using.

You could try some a/b testing, I've done something similar with a client where I use a simple script to pause/enable Ad Groups on an hourly basis, or you could use Campaign Experiments (I think).

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Re: How to split out Remarketing & Conservative or Aggressive Sale

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jon, thanks for the reply.

Another member of the Digital team I work for thinks they have found a way:

Display Network - Placements - Segment: Targeting mode - Placements categorized as Auto-targeted are from Conservative & DCO.

So I pulled a placement report & filtered out all the Conservative "auto-targeted" placements. My findings were a good amount of clicks, however the CPA was very very high!

Have you heard of this method before?

If you could have a look and let me know your findings, it would be really interesting.

Matt