1.7K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How to set up a CPA campaign?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've ran a CPC campaign for a few months now and have good data on what exact keywords convert. I've now moved over to CPA however I'm struggling with how to set up my adgroups and keywords to get a good QS.

The exact keyword that returns the most conversions for my campaign would also be used as my broad match keyword to catch all the varients. However if I setup a adgroup with just the broad match, my QS and CTR tanks. I tried seperating the exact match and broad match into seperate adgroups, hoping that the QS would rise for the exact match. I also added each ikeyword nto the others adgroup as a negative keyword (silo technique?) but then the keywords collide and one adgroup doesn't get displayed.

Am I going at this the wrong way for CPA? I'm getting the feeling Google doesn't want me to segragate too much using CPA. Should I just create a few adgroups with modified broad matches, so that each adgroup doesnt prevent the others from running, so to try and catch the exact terms I know convert well. Obviously using differently worded more relevant ads to try and keep my CTR high. Then have one broad match keyword adgroup that picks up all the varients, and hopefully let Google work its magic?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author John A
September 2015

Re: How to set up a CPA campaign?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

Is using an exact match variation benificial with the conversion optimizer/CPA bidding?

It is if the exact match variation is one that converts. 

Won't Google just do this automatically in the background?

Yes, but some advertisers want to exercise more control than that.

If so when you say bid on it higher than my other match types, I assume you would do this via a adgroup CPA bid?

Yes, if the 'value' of traffic on the exact match variation is higher than the 'value' of traffic on the broad match (because the exact match converts more often, for example), then you might decide that you want to offer a higher CPA bid for the exact match variation.

... if I set up a broad keyword, and it has a low QS, does that QS effect every matched search term variation? 

No. DIfferent search terms matched against your broad match keyword might produce different quality scores. I cannot predict what those different scores might be. Some will be higher and some will be lower.

I would caution you not to get too fixated on quality score, especially if you're advertising using broad match keywords. Quality score can change several times a day, depending on what searches are triggering your ads. The quality score the interface displays should be looked as as a sort of "average."

Individual keyword quality score is one metric you should keep an eye on to evaluate the overall quality of your advertising campaign but it's a mistake to get too fixated on any one metric. 

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

View solution in original post

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Good afternoon.

First, the QS for any keyword is based on "exact match" performance, so you won't be able to affect just one match type for a keyword.

Second, I would say that using the exact match variation of your good keyword is a good strategy--bid it a little higher than your other match types so that it's a more attractive option to the program--so that the program will trigger the ads associated with it for those searches.

You can and should add the exact match variation of your keyword as a negative to the Broad Natch Ad Group. That will prevent the broad match keyword from serving those searches.

However, you do not need to add the broad match variation of the keyword as a negatve to the Exact Match Ad Group. If you do, you will (as you've discovered) block all traffic to that Ad Group. You don't need to use negative keywords at all in the Exact Match Ad Group, as long as there are only exact match keywords in it.

Does that help?

Theresa
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your reply Theresa.

Is using an exact match variation benificial with the conversion optimizer/CPA bidding? Won't Google just do this automatically in the background? If so when you say bid on it higher than my other match types, I assume you would do this via a adgroup CPA bid?

Your explanation makes perfect sense regarding the negative keywords thank you, and I can now see why my adgroup ads was getting blocked!

One last thing, and maybe this is related to your first paragraph, but if I set up a broad keyword, and it has a low QS, does that QS effect every matched search term variation? So say I have an adgroup with an ad "cheap blue widget" and a broad match "blue widget" keyword with a QS of 3. It matches the search term of "cheap blue widget", would the QS of 3 still apply or would it be higher?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author John A
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

Is using an exact match variation benificial with the conversion optimizer/CPA bidding?

It is if the exact match variation is one that converts. 

Won't Google just do this automatically in the background?

Yes, but some advertisers want to exercise more control than that.

If so when you say bid on it higher than my other match types, I assume you would do this via a adgroup CPA bid?

Yes, if the 'value' of traffic on the exact match variation is higher than the 'value' of traffic on the broad match (because the exact match converts more often, for example), then you might decide that you want to offer a higher CPA bid for the exact match variation.

... if I set up a broad keyword, and it has a low QS, does that QS effect every matched search term variation? 

No. DIfferent search terms matched against your broad match keyword might produce different quality scores. I cannot predict what those different scores might be. Some will be higher and some will be lower.

I would caution you not to get too fixated on quality score, especially if you're advertising using broad match keywords. Quality score can change several times a day, depending on what searches are triggering your ads. The quality score the interface displays should be looked as as a sort of "average."

Individual keyword quality score is one metric you should keep an eye on to evaluate the overall quality of your advertising campaign but it's a mistake to get too fixated on any one metric. 

Theresa
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*