4.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How to set bid adjustments by device?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm looking to decrease my 'Tablet' based bid adjustment by 100%.  I know on some accounts, this is not problem.  However on my account, for whatever reason, it can't be altered.

Is this a common issue.  Do I need to update my account in some way so I have the capability of changing this setting?

3 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
July 2016

Re: How to set bid adjustments by device?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Dr. Scott,

You should be able to navigate to a specific campaign or adgroup and then go to the SETTINGS tab where you will see a few buttons right below the tab line. One of those will be DEVICES. Click that and you "should" be able to modify your bids.

If that is not working can you tell us more about what your setup looks like? Are you in the standard adwords platform or express? Are you on search network or display or both? Are you running a video or app campaign? A little background might help.

Thanks!
Kim

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Dr Scott H,

As @Kim_Clink stated, more info can help us dial in on your specific situation. Until then, let's see if we can't get you started in better understanding AdWords. 

Bid adjustments are a really useful feature that allows you to best spend your money where you see the most preferred activity with your campaigns. As great as they are, there are limitations in using them... or should I say there are eligibility requirements.

bid adjustment eligibility.jpg

As the chart shows, not all bid adjustments are compatible with all campaign types, so if you are not seeing the feature shown in your campaigns, it likely is not available for your campaign type. If it is offered, the steps below will guide you, depending on campaign type. 

1. Sign in to your AdWords account.
  2. Click the Campaigns tab at the top.
  3. Click the campaign you want to adjust. If you want to set bid adjustments for devices, you also have the option to choose an ad group.
  4. Click the Settings tab.
  5. Choose the Locations, Ad schedule, or Devices subtab.
    Set bid adjustment

6. Choose what you'd like to adjust.
    • To set a location or ad schedule bid adjustment, select the rows that you’d like to adjust and click Set bid adjustment.
    • To set a mobile bid adjustment, click Set mobile bid adjustment.
  7. Choose Increase by or Decrease by from the drop-down, and enter a number.
    • To remove a bid adjustment, delete the value in the field.
  8. Click Save.

1. Sign in to your AdWords account.
  2. Click the Campaigns tab.
  3. Go to the Display Network tab.
  4. Click on the Topics, Placements, Interests & Remarketing, Gender or Age subtab depending on which type of targeting method you want to change.
  5. Check the boxes of the rows you want to change. You can select multiple rows at once.
  6. From the Edit menu, select Change bid adjustment….
  7. Choose Increase by or Decrease by from the drop-down, and enter a number. If you're not familiar with the bid adjustment ranges, read about bid adjustments.
    • To remove a bid adjustment, delete the value in the field.
  8. Click Save. Your bid adjustment will appear in the “Bid adj.” column.

Please take a look at this information and then give it a try in your AdWords account. Let us know how things go, if you need further help, or if this solved your help request. 

Kind Regards, 

James

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hey Scott,

Quick answer to your question: you can't create a tablet bid adjustment in AdWords. Tablets use the same bid as desktops right now (this came into effect when enhanced campaigns launched in July 2013).

Fortunately this will change in the next month or so. Google announced in late May that it would allow device specific bids (including tablet) in the next couple months:
https://adwords.googleblog.com/2016/05/ads-and-analytics-innovations-for-a-mobile-first-world.html

Hope that helps,
Jim
Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Rising Star, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Here is a screen shot of my campaign. It's not adword express. It's a
campaign for a landing page that leads to a video course of getting rid of
shoulder pain.

[image: photo]

<edited by a Community Manager as noted below>

NOTE: This post has been edited by a Community Manager - per Community Guidelines - in order to remove contact information which was most likely due to an email or mobile footer. This is done in order to protect account security and/or privacy. Please be sure to remove this information in future replies. Thank you for your understanding.

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@JimVaillancourt 

best news ever! I totally missed that announcement.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yea so I've already checked out all these things. Specifically the 'settings' tab then trying to alter the 'bid adjustment'.

I guess what I need to know is what 'kind of campaign' I have. The add is leading to a landing page that offers a video course on 'Exercise Away Your Shoulder Pain'.

Sorry I tried to attach a screen shot but it wouldn't take.

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star
Hey Scott,

Just to be clear you can NOT change the bid adjustment for tablet. You aren't looking in the wrong place it's just not possible right now.
Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Rising Star, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It's possible on my advisor's adwords account. Just not on mine.

The only reason I can consider is the type of the campaign. What are the defining characteristics of a campaign?

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Dr Scott H

are you sure?  Can you post a screenshot?