AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How to see what adgroups/keywords displayed the call extensions?

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

Hi!

Is there a way to in-bulk figure out and pivot the top adgroups/keywords that displayed the call extensions?

I ask because one day, there were a total of 9000 call extension impressions out of the total 16,000 search ad impressions. From this, we received 20 calls.

This trend kept up for the next 2-3 days which was very nice.

Now, this week, the impressions have been in the same numbers but the calls have hit rockbottom. This leads me to believe that the call extensions somewhere have dropped off. I'm looking at the change history, and there's no change there.

If there's any ideas about where to look, let me know. But otherwise, my mind says that I need to check to see which adgroups/keywords created those calls. And see if those adgroups/keywords haven't received love as of late.

Yes, I know a call solution would have solved this, but it got installed only on Sunday. 

Tips would be great!

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mark H
September 2015

Re: How to see what adgroups/keywords displayed the call extensions?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hey Mark,

It should at least give you some insight into what ad group stirred up that level of impressions. From there, i would dig into what keywords/ads received the most impressions in said ad groups. You could at least see if you made any changes that would have improved or limited impressions. How was your ad CTR on that day? That seems like a fairly low call rate, so I'm just wondering if those impressions were relevant?

Do you have on-site call tracking? It might be worth looking into!

If anyone knows of a third party tool, like MosheTLV mentioned, it would probably be worth a look!

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Mark!

I wish there were a way to see which keyword triggered the ad extension. As far as I know, there is not. You can see ad group detail, though. If you go to the Call Extensions tab, you can add columns for Campaign and Ad Group.

Likewise, you can view the call report within the Dimensions tab. You can add the campaign and ad group columns there, as well, and see a little more data around your calls. You can also filter for ad or website calls (in case you are also using Google's on-site call tracking).

Hope this helps!

Amy

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
Thanks Amy!

Am I on the right track though in trying to figure out what's different?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

To my knowledge you'll need a third party tool for that;

Let me ping 2 colleagues on this;

@PPCBossman ?

@Jon_Gritton ?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mark H
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hey Mark,

It should at least give you some insight into what ad group stirred up that level of impressions. From there, i would dig into what keywords/ads received the most impressions in said ad groups. You could at least see if you made any changes that would have improved or limited impressions. How was your ad CTR on that day? That seems like a fairly low call rate, so I'm just wondering if those impressions were relevant?

Do you have on-site call tracking? It might be worth looking into!

If anyone knows of a third party tool, like MosheTLV mentioned, it would probably be worth a look!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Mark,

I'll need to look into this tomorrow.  You can, through the AWFE, access click-type segmentation which in theory should show you where the clicks-to-call went, but accessing that data at scale, and making sense of it, may be more challenging.  

It's late on a Friday night here, so I'll get back to you when I can.

Jon 

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Mark,

I was exactly in the same situation last month when one of my client's account experienced sudden drop in the number of calls. This is how I digged into it -

From the Ad Extensions Tab I went into Columns and added Columns for Ad Group and Ad ID. Now I was able to get at the exact Ad that received maximum number of clicks with call extension in the previous week. Now, I compared it with the problematic week's data. The impressions were almost the same, but the clicks were less in the problematic week. 

Next, I headed to the Ads section and segmented the data by Time > Week. This is where I found that the Average Position of the said Ad had fallen from 3.6 to 5.2. 

However, I could not find any specific reason for this change. My Change Log indicated nothing important. So, I considered it as an increase in competition. What I did?

Honestly, I was not quite sure what to do. But as I credited it all to the increase in competition, I tested an increase in the Bid for that Adgroup, waited for almost a week without any major change, and saw considerable improvement. In the next week, I worked with keywords, added a few more, and added two more variants of Ad Copies. Gradually, we reached where we were.

Not sure if it could apply to your case, but hopefully it will give you an insight.

Thanks
Ratan

Join me on Google+

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Badged Google Partner
# 8
Badged Google Partner
Hi Ratan!

Thank you kindly for giving me this insight. Definitely helpful!
Here's what I found for my case (you may be able to find the same with your client account). The answer is quality score.

I noticed that the Adgroups that were bringing in the most amount of calls (regardless of clicks) from manually dialing the call extension were not showing as many impressions as before. I was able to get that data via a third party provider. Now the work is being done on these adgroups for QS so the ads get into more auctions as they were before.

Sometimes if we didn't make any changes, I notice Google has been making changes quietly in the background.

Badged Google Partner
# 9
Badged Google Partner

Thanks everyone. I already have a TPV... but sadly, there wasn't much data. As posted above, I've dialed it down to QS being the problem. Somehow the keywords lost the QS and so the ads with the call extensions showed up considerably less than normal.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Glad you figured it out! Thanks for sharing your findings with the Community!