AdWords
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How to safely move from Target CPA bidding to Manual bidding?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Here s the situation: I currently have my campaigns running on Target CPA bidding via conversion optimizer.

From what i understand, the only thing i can do to bring down CPA is pause things which are converting at a higher CPA.

Had it been on manual bidding, i would have reduced CPC bids and tried to get more clicks from a lower pos and meet my CPA targets.

Question:

1) How do i safely move from Conv opt. bidding to Manual CPC.

Additional queries:

a) What all does Conv Optimizer take into account anyway? Does it also look at geo performance and bid accordingly?

b) What if i put my campaigns on shared budget while they are on C.O. ? will the system automatically spend more in campaigns where conversions are cheaper?

Thanks,

Vikram

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Vikram S
September 2015

Re: How to safely move from Target CPA bidding to Manual bidding?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Vikram, great question.

I guess my approach would be to split things off gradually, not all at once.  How many Campaigns do you have?  How many Ad Groups in each?  Don't forget you can now apply Target CPA at the Ad Group level as well as at the Campaign level (using Flexible Bid Strategies) so you could move a Campaign to manual CPC bidding but retain a number of Groups within that Campaign at CPA to help the transition.

a)  Conversion optimisation does take Location targeting into Account (it's hidden within the text on this page):

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2471188?hl=en-GB

b) I'd advise against using a shared budget for Target CPA as it's likely to affect the performance.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Jon!

I have about 90 campaigns with 5-10 ad groups in each.

I ll try to implement flexibile bid strategies by having CPA targets for ad groups converting well and manually bidding on the remaining.

Just one more thing,

CPA Target = 30 (via flex. bid strategy) = Target CPA = 30 (via CO & DCO)

They'd work similar at ad group levels. Correct?

Vikram

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Vikram, I'm not sure I understood your last question...

As far as I know, the Target CPA at the Ad Group level works in exactly the same way as it does at the Campaign level.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits