AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How to reduce costs while maintaining effective CTR?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

We are looking at ways of decreasing our spending while maining a high CTR. 

We have daily budgets per campaign and we manually manage our Max CPC bids. I know that improving the QS helps lower the actual CPC. However are there other methods of reducing spend? 

So far I know / have found two ways that I will be looking at implementing.

1) Decreasing our bids by the time of day, where we can see through analytics that between 01:00-05:00 (for example) not many people search for our keywords and so we can decrease bids during that time.

2) Is looking at our location included zones and decreasing CPC for any regions that have a low CTR.

If you can give me any other suggestions I can try, I would appreciate it.

ps: I hope what I have said makes sence, if not please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to reduce costs while maintaining effective CTR?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Chris, are you tracking conversions of any kind?  If not, how are you measuring the success of this Campaign?

In addition to what you've already said, I'd offer two thoughts:  Firstly, consider not just reducing bids at low periods but actually turning the Ads off during those hours.  If they're not productive, why show your Ads at all.  Bear in mind that the more you decrease your bid, the lower your Ads will show so having Ads at a very low position can be less efficient than not showing them at all (and using that saved budget elsewhere).

Secondly, look at your Keywords.  How many do you have and do they all contribute?  If you have any that aren't "pulling their weight" consider pausing them.  Again, this is all reliant upon you having a good measure of success.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Cobnut,

Yes we have a multiple goals set-up to track different conversions. Along with online sales we have a call centre which does cause an issue, since if an ad points to a product/category specific landing page. We find that 80% of our customers on average will call us rather than purchase online.

Therefore we do have to take our conversion tracking with a 'pinch of salt'. This does make our job alittle harder since the stats are not as clear cut as we would like.

However I will definitely look at the areas you have highlighted.

Thank you
Chris

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Chris, there are, of course, options for tracking calls.  You could use Google Forwarding Numbers which will allow you to track calls as conversions (by time), or you could go for a complete call tracking solution from a third party.  If neither of these suit, I've often tried to establish a "ratio" of online to phone conversions, e.g. for every 10 online conversions, there's "usually" 20 phone conversions.  How effective/accurate this is will depend upon the business.

Phone calls are generally difficult though.  You can "know" that your Ads are driving results by phone but it can be hard (without the total 3rd party tools mentioned above) to measure.

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Cobnut,

I will certainly check out Google Forwarding Numbers, as it is something that is/ can be somewhat of a guessing game. We have been looking at 3rd party call tracking solutions but it's nice to know Google have a potential solution to this problem.

Thanks again.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Fyi.

I have found a better way of tracking calls. Its a Google product which is still in Beta called 'Website Call Metrics' which will display a dynamic unique number to customers who click through to our website. Therefore we can track the unique number back to the route they came through on. eg: which ad did they click on before calling the unique number. As all numbers are tracked with a google id you can trace back to the Ad group.

Not too sure how the numbers are generated /routed since it would be impossible for companies to physically own the 1000's of unqiue number combinations. All I was told from someone at Google was it was magic and the numbers will be routed to our main number (I don't think the person knew 100% themselves). Tbh if it works its a good enough answer for me. lol.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 7
Top Contributor Alumni

Conversion tracking can be something of a guessing game, no matter how closely you try to identify and monitor each element. Smiley Happy

When it comes to using Google Forwarding versus a 3rd party solution, the most important thing you need to consider is your buying cycle. If you have a product or service where customers are likely to want to call more than once to discuss their purchase or arrange for their purpose, you're much better off using a 3rd party solution.

Google Forwarding numbers are subject to change without notice--the number someone found and used (and saved) to call you last week may not be the same number that routes calls to your business this week. With a 3rd party provider, you "own" the tracking numbers people use (and save to their cell phones) for as long as you continue to use that service.

On the other hand, if your business involves easy, one-call purchases of some kind, then the Google Forwarding service might be right for you.

Just my $0.02.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*