AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How to read Sitelink Stats

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi all, just wondering if someone could help clarify the Sitelink extension for me. I have an Ad Group sitelink extension with four different sitelinks which have been running for a month or so. It says the sitelinks have had 207 clicks. My Ad group itself has had 300 clicks - are these 207 sitelink clicks included in the overall ad group clicks or have I had 507 clicks altogether? How do I also see which sitelinks have been the most succesful? The stats for each sitelink are all practically the same which doesn't make sense. The campaign has also had 3 conversions overall and yet each sitelink has had 2 conversions?

sitelink screen.JPG

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Phil T
September 2015

Re: How to read Sitelink Stats

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Sitelink reporting is funky... and isn't reporting what you expect it to report....

Basically, if an ad appears with 4 sitlelinks - it doesn't matter where the visitor clicks - on any of the sitelinks - or on the ad - all four sitelinks will get credited with a click - i.e. the ad got clicked when the sitelink was there.... which is basically why the numbers are all the same.

Same with conversions - the conversion happened on a visit from an ad where the sitelink appeared - doesn't mean the visitor clicked on the sitelink.

Where there are differences between the rates for the sitelinks this is generally down to there being perhaps more sitelinks than the max that can be displayed - and Google has rotated, or where less than the maximum were displayed - say two of them - and a click happened - so these two got a click counted and the others didn't.

View solution in original post

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Use the segment button and choose This extension vs. other to view individual sitelink performance. In my case the clicks on sitelinks are quite rare.

In the overview your are already seeing a total , you do not have 500 clicks or separate counts.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Phil

The total number of clicks(300) which you are seeing at ad group are the total clicks that you have received on that ad group.

Try "This Extension vs Other" report at Ad Extension Tab in Segment drop down menu in order to understand how to read site links data.

Regards
Abhishek

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks, how come the total for the sitelinks (208) is less than the 301 clicks I've received in total for the ad group?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Phil T
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Sitelink reporting is funky... and isn't reporting what you expect it to report....

Basically, if an ad appears with 4 sitlelinks - it doesn't matter where the visitor clicks - on any of the sitelinks - or on the ad - all four sitelinks will get credited with a click - i.e. the ad got clicked when the sitelink was there.... which is basically why the numbers are all the same.

Same with conversions - the conversion happened on a visit from an ad where the sitelink appeared - doesn't mean the visitor clicked on the sitelink.

Where there are differences between the rates for the sitelinks this is generally down to there being perhaps more sitelinks than the max that can be displayed - and Google has rotated, or where less than the maximum were displayed - say two of them - and a click happened - so these two got a click counted and the others didn't.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Because at site links level it shows the total number of clicks received on a ad or its site links which is 208 in your case,but It doesn't count the number of clicks received on a ad(301) when site links didn't appear with it.

Abhishek

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Very helpful, thanks all. 

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Here is the explanation for what Abhisheck told you, that Ads do not appear all the time with sitelinks :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375416?hl=en

Under "Why your sitelinks aren't showing"

"Keep in mind that your ads won't always show sitelinks. Also, when your ads show sitelinks, the format that appears could vary. For instance, anywhere from two to six sitelinks may appear on desktop ads."