AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How to pick the better ad when different metrics show different winners?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I have a display network campaign. Set to rotate indefinitely.

The campaign has one ad group.

Two ads in the ad group.

Currently, I have these stats:

ad #1

clicks: 1,123

impressions: 162,879

ctr: 0.69%

avg cpc: $0.16

avg position: 2.4

ad #2

clicks: 1,932

impressions: 445,867

ctr: 0.43%

avg cpc: $0.20

avg position: 2.0

The ads aren't new. So there was enough time for the system to gather stats prior to the time window I selected for the numbers posted above.

How would you go about picking which one of the two ads is the winner?

Ad rotation is set to rotate indefinitely. So both ads participate in a roughly equal number of ad auctions. The fact that ad #2 has significantly more impressions means that ad #1's ad rank/qs/etc makes it too weak to win a lot of auctions that ad #2 manages to win when it is its turn to participate in an ad auction.

That means ad #2 is considered to be the better ad by the system for whatever reason.

But ad #2 has significantly lower CTR and higher CPC. Still, ad #2 has better average position.

I have a theory about what's going on.  But unfortunately, there is no way to run a report to cross-reference placements with ads. (At least I couldn't find a way to do that.)

It's possible that ad #2, due to higher ad rank, appears on more placements than ad #1. And those extra placements have overall lower CTR due to outside factors. (I can't list Relative CTR for each ad, which sucks.)

So if that's the case, then ad #2 is probably the better ad and should be kept as the new control.

But I have no way of knowing that for sure.

Would you pick the ad with higher CTR and lower CPC or the ad with more clicks and impressions?  What would you do and why?

(I'm not taking conversions into account at this time.)

Re: How to pick the better ad when different metrics show different winners?

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

Questions: -But unfortunately, there is no way to run a report to cross-reference placements with ads. (At least I couldn't find a way to do that.)

Answer - There is a way you can run Ads report and include Keywords / Placement. Please find below the Screenshot for how to download.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByPz51L7FejLei16WUNYVzBONjQ/view?usp=sharing

you can analyse the data with both ads that which placement is giving you better result.

Ads #2 is your better performing ads because at 2nd position you have received additional 809 clicks (72% more) and you have received 282988 additional impressions (174% more). I know you CTR is lower than you Ad #1. But I will recommend to go with Ad #2.

You can also analyse the Ad Report with Placements and find out the non performing placement sites in terms of non relevant, lower impressions and clicks with higher CPC. This action will help you to decrease the CPC.

I hope this will help you.

Thanks,

Anand 

Re: How to pick the better ad when different metrics show different winners?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Unfortunately, that report doesn't do what I need.

It's a keyword-targeted campaign. For a placement-targeted campaign I wouldn't be questioning the difference among placements.

So AdWords uses content keywords to find placements. And it's possible that it picks more placements for ad #2.

The report you mentioned won't show those placements. It simply shows "content" when adding the segment.