2.3K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How to pass keyword string into Page title of landing page

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Because of a particular type of keyword variation, we would like to pass the search text to the heading of the landing page (strictly controlled by the use of partial phrase matching). I can see how to get this onto the url using the value match system. How do you get that read and placed on the landing page?

Thanks in advance

Angus

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to pass keyword string into Page title of landing page

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
There are probably a lot more tech savvy people on this forum than me, but you might have better luck asking this question on a forum like http://stackoverflow.com . I just say this because it looks like you know how to pass the ValueTrack parameter, but don't know how to implement it on page.

I would ask the question like this on stackoverflow.
"I am passing a parameter in a URL and want to have it included in as the H1 on my page. Any suggestions on how I can dynamically do that?"

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hello, Angus and welcome to our community.

I believe the title of your post should refer to the search query / string and not to the keyword, as that can be easily inserted via valuetrack parameters (https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375447?hl=en).

As for the search query, there are two possibilities (or rather there were, as I do not know if with all the changes Google is currently implementing they still work or not), described in this thread: https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics/Can-I-add-search-phrase-to-destination-URL...
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Joe,

You can do that on the client side with Javascript or on the server side with whatever language used there.

On the client side, you'll need a function that can read the values in the query string. When the page loads, get that value and use a document.write() statement to put it on your page.

This isn't hard to do if you have programming experience, but it's more than I'm going into in this post.

Best of Luck!

Pete

p.s. I do think you are looking for the keyword, not the search query itself. You can no longer retrieve the search query reliably from an AdWords click.

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Pete,

It actually was the search query I wanted passed over. I see you are saying that this is unreliable. Is it possible to define the nature of the unreliability?

Cheers

Angus

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Joe,

Thanks for that

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for that Calin
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
December 2015

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi Angus,

You can look at the referrer data for the search query, but if the search was done in secure mode, and most are these days, the search query will not be passed through to you. This is true of both Google and search partners.

Pete

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Pete, back to the drawing board I think, multiple landing pages etc.

Cheers

Angus

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
That is usually a wise course of action.

Best of Luck to you.

Pete