AdWords
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How to optimize for the right conversions, not just any conversion?

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

Hi guys,

I have a couple conversions setup in Adwords. 

1. Call
  2. Form submission

Form submission is a regular $1 conversion value. But a call has a variable number of seconds of talk time as the value. So if a call conversion happens, and the value is 523, it means 523 seconds (about 8 and a half minutes). Then there are other call conversions that happen, say, less than 200.

How can I:

a) Find the keywords that routinely (or on average) pass a threshold of 400 conversion value and have had, say more than 10 such conversions?

b) Optimize those keywords

c) De-bid the other keywords that routinely seem to bring in less than 200

My goal is to increase the high value conversions, ofcourse but also not give up on the volume of conversions that other keywords bring in that may not necessarily be of high value. What's the best way to do this?

Thank you.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to optimize for the right conversions, not just any conversion

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi

Well manually you can go to keyword tab and then segments - conversion names. This view will give you an idea what are the revenue that being generated through different keywords for different conversion labels. So you can measure which conversions has completed the criteria you mentioned in above post

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Just to add to Nisal's reply - you will find this easier to do if you export the keyword report and then run the analysis in Excel...

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Mark, to optimize keywords based on value which they generate to your business, click attribution (search funnels) under tools and choose attribution modeling. You can choose specific conversion and see it's value on keyword, ad.group or campaign level so you can decrease bids keywords which generate less than 200 value and increase bids for keywords with value above 400. Also you would be able to reallocate budget from poorly performing campaigns with low conversion value.
Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

Hi Nisal/stickleback,

Thanks for the pointers! That is indeed a good way of getting all that information. I got the columns of Total Conv Value and Value per Conv to know the great quality conversions (calls).

Here's what I was able to gather:

Sample

As you can see, the blurred lines are the keywords and the red highlighted cells are the good quality conversions. This is great!

This leads me to my next question, is there a way for me to update the bid of all these keywords en-masse? I don't want to go into Editor and search for the keyword and manually update the bid for everyone of these select keywords.

Any tips?

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

Hi Alexey,

Thanks so much for this method. I'm super curious and it allows me to pretty much come up with the same thing as the other method by Nisal - however, yours is within the interface. The only downside I see is, to further use data like Total Conversion Value and/or Value per Conv to come to conclusions, I will still need to go back to Nisal's method.

This method I think gives us a high level look at how various aspects of the account are performing in terms of Total Conv Value. But if you choose to export, it is super simple with maybe 1 or 2 calculated fields and we arrive at the same destination as the other one.

For example, see this:

attribution

The "Linear" column is not necessary I guess because we're not figuring out the attribution of these keywords (or are we?)

But if you see, row #1 shows 9863 as value, and # of conversions is 38. That comes to value per conv around 259. Using the same Value per Conv calculation, you see row 5 and 6 are much better quality. 

Did I mistake something in this method?

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
Hi Mark,

The reason why you are getting different data lies in different attribution models.

By default Adwords is using last ad click keywords model. What does it mean? Adwords gives 100% of the conversion value to the most recent AdWords ad that the customer clicked before converting. But there are keywords which assist conversion so to be most effective, you also need to invest in keywords which initiate or assist in sales. Example - in some of my accounts I've noticed that people first click on specific keywords but didn't perfrom conversion, then after a while they come back clicking on my brand keyword in google search so 100% of the conversion value is giving to brand keyword instead of initial one.

Different keywords participate in the sale but value is given only to 1 - that's what happening if you are looking on your conversions on keyword tab. If you will keep optimizing only last click keywords what is done now in most of adwords accounts, your cost per conversion may grow because you are optimizing only one part of your conversion process.

So I encourage you to go more in details on this points and learn all your conversion paths .

Cheers,
Alexey
Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star
Well you can create an automated rule saying increase keyword bid when x number of conversions happened for certain keywords, However I'm not sure whether we can filter out by conversions labels to decide which one got calls and form submission this way

Badged Google Partner
# 9
Badged Google Partner

Alexey,

Thanks so much for clarifying this. This is certainly a good way to look at things. However, I looked into it and I don't see much difference, for say, last and first click:

Screen_Shot_2015-05-31_at_11_48_48_PM.png

Pretty close number of conversions and values.

So I have two follow up questions about this:

1. How can I find the most common keyword path?
  2. Is there a tutorial that shows us how to actually use this tool?

Thanks!

Rising Star
# 10
Rising Star
Hi Mark, depending from business model you might have different proportion, so if customers usually don't perform additional research before buying or calling your business, you may have really small difference.

1. I use "Top Path report" - Path Length(2+), Keyword Transition Path (Clicks). Below conversion value you can see % of total conversions which were triggered by at least 2 keywords.
2. Please have a look on this article
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722023?hl=en-GB

Cheers,
Alexey
Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency