AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How to optimize AdWords Campaign for wedding photographer?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello! Wedding photographer just starting out! Any advice or recommendations for a great at with great results?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to optimize AdWords Campaign for wedding photographer?

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Nicole S , Welcome to the Community

First of all : great hobby and job , I am also into DSLRs and image processing , it is a joy for the soul.

Second : What optimisations have you applied so far , what details can you share about your campaign and results so far ? Can you share a link to your site ?

The forum is a very useful place where many can join a discussion and share their advice about your case, so with a little patience and reading you can achieve a lot, just like handling a DSLR.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Nicole S Smiley Happy. Welcome to the community. I really agree with what Adrian B said Smiley Happy. I may add that you need relevant keywords that matches with customer's needs. And, you can always look for tips here- https://support.google.com/adwords/topic/3121947?hl=en&ref_topic=3119106

Good luck Smiley Happy.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Nicole,

Strategy: I would suggest that you start with the Search Network. Remarketing would also be a great option for you because people looking for a photographer may be in the early planning process. Remarketing would allow you to remarket messaging to people who have previously visit the site (from any source). There are limit requirements to remarketing lists before they go active. Due to the fact that your site is new you may not have the volume to support remarketing at this time but check it out http://www.google.com/ads/innovations/remarketing.html

If you are offering wedding photography I assume that you are limited in the geography you want to target with the ads. Make sure to set your targeting options to cover just the areas you are willing to travel to. Targeting options can be set under the SETTINGS tab and you can even modify bidding per location if you find that certain locations you target offer a better return on ad spend (ROAS) then you can increase bids for that location to increase visibility.

Account structure:
Think relevancy. You want to stick with keywords that are very relevant and want to segment these keywords in lists which will become adgroup adgroups that are relevant to a theme so that you can have just the right ad messaging appear with just the right keywords. These themes could be service related i.e. 'professional wedding photography' or location related i.e. 'wedding photographer in ....'

Ad copy:
It should be compelling and contain a call to action. I recommend that you also create a mobile preferred version of your ads. I expect that a fair amount of people will use mobile devices to search for your business.

Landing Pages:
Point your ads to relevant pages on your website. Provide visitors a way to easily contact you via a website contact form or phone number.

Ad extensions:
Consider Location, Sitelinks, Call Extensions and Offer Extensions.

There is so much more to cover but hopefully this can help get you started.

Take Care

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Again Nicole,

I wanted to take this analysis a step further so I found your site by navigating to the Google+ page linked to your forum account and it is 

http://www.nicolesalterphotography.ca/ and your blog is http://blog.nicolesalterphotography.ca/

1. Setting up keywords :

Many things can be learned by reading this help page : link

but the point is to start is to research for keywords in your location Ottawa, Ontario using the Keyword Planner , and add first keywords in a phrase or exact matching type.

Also use the Search terms report to look at what people typed in the browser to arrive to your site and from there you can pick some keywords that didn't lead to a useful click and add them to the "Negative keyword list", in order to prevent similar search terms to trigger your Ads.

2. Mobile Ads setup :

Your website probably does not have a mobile version because loading it from a smartphone it shows the exact Flash animation content from the desktop . For mobile Ads to work at their best, as they were mentioned before, your webmaster can create a mobile landing page with a larger text and less content, probably just a couple of links. Also there is the option for click to call described here : link

3. Landing pages : 

If your current Landing page for the AdWords Ads  is the contact page http://www.nicolesalterphotography.ca/#/contact/

I would take a closer look because on my laptop the text is a little cropped on the right side and I would increase the font size on it because it is hardly readable.

I would also decrease the number of fields in the contact page to maybe 3 or 4, because I would expect in this kind of business to close the deal in a face-to-face meeting rather than online or by phone, so there is plenty of room for asking more questions in a meeting. 

[edit] Also it would be a great ideea to have the phone number in all pages , somewhere in the upper left corner, with a big font, this way you offer visitors a quick contact option [/edit]

4. Prices and AdWords advertising policies : 

You have your prices under the "Investment" link, that is hard to spot, especially since all the navigation is inside a flash animation. I would rename that Link in "Prices" instead of "Investment"

AdWords has a Policy about Unclear Billing, and your site could be breaching this if the automatic bots cannot read prices from a HTML page, because all prices are under an animation menu  :

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/190439?hl=en

This requirement could also be a problem " Your billing terms and conditions cannot just be provided via a link." . For me as a potential customer it is unclear where are the billing terms and conditions, how much money do I have to pay in advance, how much after the photo shoot, how much after I receive the DVDs and photo album ?

Also this could be an issue "Providing prices and billing information in very small print on your website isn't considered obvious to users." , because on every page with some prices like here : link ,   there is a very small print with a font of size 8 saying 

"All packages include up to 130km round trip for photographer, additional charge per km. Many upgrades available, or switches at equivalent cost."

AdWords Accounts can get suspended if they breach a policy and not all the time they can get unsuspended.

5. Business Photos Trusted Photographer opportunity :

Even if this is not related to AdWords it is related to google, so I would advise you to apply here also :

http://www.google.com/intl/en/help/maps/businessphotos/photographers/

Earning money from this opportunity could help you finance advertising in AdWords and it will help you promote yourself with the local businesses. You never know when a business owner also knows a person who gets married Smiley Happy

I'll stop here at 5 main recommendations, I hope these help.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Nice of Adrian to jump in with his suggestions but I kindly disagree with two of them.

In my opinion you do not need to make any changes to the pricing on the website. You will not breach any policies by not including pricing for a service such as yours. I had a look and your pricing appears to be pretty clearly displayed. The 'pricing policy' that is being referred to in the post above is actually 'billing policy' - not applicable in your case.

I looked at your contact form and it did not appear "cut off" to me, unreadable or to be asking too much info. The info you are requesting on the form is would not cause any friction in my opinion.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Just to motivate my post, this is how the Flash website is rendered on my screen with tiny fonts and the last letter on every row on the contact form is cut in half, I use the browser Chrome on a resolution of 1366x768 :

contact-page-cropped-last-letter.png

The main point at my 3rd suggestion is to try to add your phone number on every accessible page, give more chances to visitors to call you as soon as they like something about your presentation.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
I am not seeing that Adrian but I have a different resolution.

Phone numbers on all pages is a very good suggestion.

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

The background with the wooden texture is a good place to put a phone no. and an email address with a big big font, not a tiny font like what I am seeing now.

For example in your "contact form" it says "If you need me, my number is (613) 884-1193 but I'm all over the place so e-mail is usually the easiest Smiley Wink" , but there is no email address to write to , just the form.

In another page it is mentioned "For those outside the Ottawa, we can make camp crafts & sip lattes via Skype." but without leaving a skype ID . Easy contacting is vital to receiving conversions / leads and to turn your investment in AdWords into something profitable.

I also see now that it is not a Flash animation site, it is made with Jquery scripting and a sequence of jpg files.

Another important issue :

6. Install conversion tracking and setup a thank you page after the form completion

I have entered some data to test your contact form and upon completion it sends me to the list of prices, with no conversion page and no confirmation that the data I entered in the form has arrived to you.

On the following help page there is more about conversion tracking in adwords, it is not complicated, just a copy-paste code on a page : link

After you set this up you can see which keywords are leading to conversions and you can bid higher on them.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Nicole,

I would consider if you want to add your email address to the form. You will have to track these submitted emails through more complicated conversion tracking to see if people submit an email off the site.

Anyway I assume the form is there because you want to capture important info from visitors right? The form is a great way to do that, is not causing friction that I can see and you can setup conversion tracking that Ardian mentioned to capture views of the thank you page that appears after the form is submitted.