Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How to know when a keyword is capturing all the traffic

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I am seeing an impressions share of over 90% for QS 9/10 keywords as well as for keywords with QS7/10.

How can I tell when a keyword has reached it's "close to maximum" potential of capturing traffic ?

For a keyword of QS 7/10 and an impressions share of 99% I would say that there is room for improvement because maybe this impressions share means 990 impressions out of 1000 and the impressions to get can increase if the QS increases. For example if the QS increases from 7 to 9 maybe the maximum pool of impressions also increases from 1000 to 1500.

Is it correct to say that if a keyword has a lower than 10/10 QS and a close to maximum impressions share, there is still lost potential traffic , until the QS becomes 10/10 ?

Thank you

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Re: How to know when a keyword is capturing all the traffic

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Adrian;

Remember Adwords is a statistical modeling not a mathematical modeling.

Hence, IS of 99% means that statistically you get  almost all traffic available under the statistical model.

Since this is statistical model when saying > 99%, it means that, assuming a normal distribution, you cover all traffic available (under the estimated sampling model) with a standard deviation Google does not disclose. (I assume 2 sigma)

Anny attempt to increase it, would be  negligible:  In advertising practical terms -a minor fraction  of users.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok, so when a keyword is reporting an over 90% Impressions share, not matter what QS it has, it means that it is capturing almost all the traffic it can get for the current campaign settings ( location, device, search partners enabled or not, etc) and for that kw there isn't much to be optimized further.

Thank you

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Adrian B,

I would always look toward optimization efforts regardless if I got 90 or 100% share. When your quality scores rise, your actual CPC can be potentially lower, Your Budget can last longer and your Ad rank can be higher for less CPC.

From a management standpoint, I would look more toward your conversions and ROI at the leading indicators of your account rather then impression share. Tweaking ad copy, adding negative keywords, optimizing an A/B testing ads and landing pages can lead to better conversion and ROI.

Impression share is based upon your parameters in your Auction. I have some weak keywords with 5/10 QS but bid enough during my say 5 hours time slots, on Search Only ( no partners) and receive a 100% Impression IS Rank.

The terminology may be off here, as you may want to get every possible opportunity, and that would be determined by your setting, Match types, Close Variants decisions, negative keywords, geo target exclusions etc.

At the end of the Day, I have some 10QS Keyword with 100% Impression share for Broad Match terms with CPC's of $40-$50 in Legal terms, but still daily work on Conversion efforts, Optimization efforts, Ad Testing so increase my overall ROI.

Good Luck.
Eric Gehler

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, Eric you are right, there are other directions to optimize on, but I was writing strictly about the IS and when to decide that a keyword has finished capturing the available traffic.

What I should have said is that "there isn't much to be optimized for that keyword for the purpouse of obtaining more traffic from it". Since it has over 90% IS and it is clear that adding its match types will not help in this direction, the optimisation for capturing most of the searches for this keyword is done, right ?

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner
Yes Adrian, You are Correct

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Adrian;

Remember that whether an ad is shown is solely dependent on the ad-rank (in which the QS is a component - but not the sole component)

So theoretically you could take the bid as high as you can to achieve "a full coverage"

However; this is not that simple - there are cases in which there is a threshold of QS for a KW to take part in an auction. (Google does not disclose details.)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’