1.7K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How to isolate broad match

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

In one of my campaigns I am using one of the "best practice" structures, ad groups organized by match type with serving controlled by ad group level negatives.

Example:
Ad group: Red Widget exact
keywords:
[red widget]

Ad group: Red Widget phrase
keywords:
"red widget"
-[red widget]

Ad group: Red Widget modified broad
keywords:
+red +widget
-"red widget"

To expand campaign, I wanted to add regular broad ad group like this:
Ad group: Red Widget regular broad
keywords:
red widget
-red widget

But that's not possible since you cannot add as a negative the same keyword/match type you are targeting, you get an error message that prevents you from saving.

Is there a way to isolate regular broad queries set (only those queries that are not covered by "higher level" match types) in its own ad group? I know that I can try to do that with lower bids, and it can work nice, but sometimes bids should be significantly lower and those bids could be not the best ones - too low. Any ideas?

4 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dragan Pozder
September 2015

Re: How to isolate broad match

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

But you can do this, I just tested it. I created an ad group with a single simple broad keyword from 3 words. 

I saved the keyword without adding negative keywords in the same window with keywords , by using the formula with the minus sign. You cannot use minus BMM keyword. 

What you need to do is to scroll down the page below the "normal" keywords and you will find the option to add negative keywords at the ad group level. In there you can add BMM keywords without using the minus sign, like this :

negative-keywords-add-bmm.png

Of course , as mentioned above by others, it is not really advisable to pay for simple broad clicks, as they can include irrelevant synonyms and other "close variants" which can be very different from your original meaning of the words from the keyword. The relevance of this ad group will be low but at least you can set a very low bid on simple broad keywords .

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Dragansedam,

Welcome to AdWords community Smiley Happy

Yes, it is true that you can target or exclude same keywords from an adgroup.

However you can do one thing that create different campaigns, where you can.target one match type in one campaign, then you can add all exact match keywords as a negative in broad match keywords campaign at campaign level. In this way you can manage.
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Dragansedam,

I won't recommend using broad and broad match modifier both in the campaign. BMM is advance version of broad match which bring refined search query while broad match brings lot of irrelevant queries which sometimes is hard to manage.

If you are using broad match keyword, I would advice run search query report frequently to weed out irrelevant keyword.

If you use BMM, you still need to search query but you will get less irrelevant searches. Even if sometime you forgot to do sqr, you won't be in big trouble.

Since BMM launched I prefer this match type over broad match. If you wants to collect keywords from search query which can be added as positive keyword, it can still be done by BMM as you are using only two word keyword.

In my opinion!

Thanks
Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi

I would like to add one point here that BMM Match will only target keywords which have only "RED" and "WIDGET" in the user search query. But if you like to target other search queries related to widgets like "WHITE WIDGET" or something directly or indirectly related to RED WIDGET than you should try Broad Match as well.

Regards
Abhishek

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi dragansedam,

I do not quite understand what you want to do. You want a 4th ad group where you want to use the simple broad ? Meaning that if a BMM can bring a set of lets say 1000 impressions per day and simple broad can bring 3000 impressions per day , you want to isolate the 2000 impressions difference (simple broad traffic minus BMM traffic) ?

Is this because the location targeting brings too low traffic for BMM ?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Adrian B, yes I want to isolate those 2000 impressions (from your example). And the reason is better control over ad serving so I can optimize more precisely, the same reason I isolated phrase and modified broad. It is very easy to isolate phrase and modified broad, but it seems there's no way to isolate regular broad. It would be nice if there was an option in settings that would say something like "serve more restrictive match type where possible" so that we don't need to add negatives and separate match types per ad group or campaign to control serving by match type.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dragan Pozder
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

But you can do this, I just tested it. I created an ad group with a single simple broad keyword from 3 words. 

I saved the keyword without adding negative keywords in the same window with keywords , by using the formula with the minus sign. You cannot use minus BMM keyword. 

What you need to do is to scroll down the page below the "normal" keywords and you will find the option to add negative keywords at the ad group level. In there you can add BMM keywords without using the minus sign, like this :

negative-keywords-add-bmm.png

Of course , as mentioned above by others, it is not really advisable to pay for simple broad clicks, as they can include irrelevant synonyms and other "close variants" which can be very different from your original meaning of the words from the keyword. The relevance of this ad group will be low but at least you can set a very low bid on simple broad keywords .

Top Contributor Alumni
# 8
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi

I am sorry to butt in here. I beg to differ with Adrian here.

This will not work BMM match type does not work as negatives.

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Hi All,

Sorry but I agree with theniks here, bmm in negative will work as broad match only. I would again say what I said earlier there is no point running broad and bmm both in the campaign. Choose either broad or bmm based on yoir need.

Thanks
Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I am grateful to be able to learn from you nik, thanks for joining.

It could be true that bmm will not work as negative, but i tested with an ad group today : 3 match types as negatives (exact , phrase and bmm) and simple broad as keyword. Only 1 keyword in ad group.

Why did i receive traffic for this setup, a few dosen impressions in the last hours ?

Why was there no warning when adding bmm as negative ?

There must be a substantial number of search terms which match the simple broad and not bmm variant of same keyword, especially synonyms.