AdWords
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How to increase conversions? - Josh needs your help how to drive sales to his 'Muscle Rope' business.

[ Edited ]
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 1
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
Hi Community Experts,

This week with have another participant in the Back to Business online account optimization, Josh.

Josh is the owner of the company called Muscle Ropeshttp://www.muscleropes.com/aftershock/. He, himself, manages the AdWords account. 

Muscle Ropes is an online store specializing in selling workout product. While simple in concept, the high intensity and low impact movements performed with Muscle Ropes provide you with a workout unlike anything you’ve ever tried. Josh agrees that Adwords has many options and metrics, but it's hard for him to know if he's getting the most out of it. 

Current setting of the AdWords account:
  • Location targeting is set nationwide within the US
  • The campaign is well structured based on the products
  • However, in the past 30 days - the CTR remains below 1%, Avg. position is @ 3.7, and conversion rate was 1.5%
  • The campaign is set for both, search and display networks
  • Sitelink extensions are enabled

Josh needs help with:

1. Improving the account CTR 
2. Increasing conversions

Can we help him with some optimization tips?
Zee
G+
3 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by stephenb (Follower ✭ ☆ ☆)
September 2015

Re: How to increase conversions? - Josh needs your help how to drive sales to his 'Muscle Rope' busi

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Josh,

Welcome to our Community Smiley Happy

As Zee mentioned above, the CTR has went down for you in the past 1 month. I would like you to check which keywords were responsible for low CTR. What is their match type in your campaign?

Look at the Search Terms which triggered out of the keywords in the past 30 days and whether most of the times delivered match type was broad, phrase or exact.

One idea to improve on your CTR would be to work on the terms which could deliver exact match queries matched with the user's search terms irrespective of the match type you are using. This would certainly assist in improving the CTR.

Another idea could be to look at the past good healthy data and identify the low CTR keywords which have not been profitable in the sense that you didn't receive any conversions out of them, but are relevant to your business. Shortlist those keywords and take them out from existing campaign and launch them separately. Doing this wouldn't harm the good performing high CTR keywords and with good conversion rate. Another advantage of this step could be that you would be able to analyze this new campaign and if the keywords still don't perform upto the level required, you could pause that campaign and focus on high converting keywords and optimize around those terms.

One good analysis would be to look for the Search Terms and see how many times the Close variants of your keywords were matched with user's search query (You should see this data from May onwards as per Google's announcement).If these close variants make sense and are relevant to your business, then it is ok, but otherwise if it's not proving worth, you might consider disabling the option of including close variants inside Advanced settings >> Keyword matching options.

Additionally, looking for the search terms which converted for you and probably adding them as keywords inside campaigns would further assist in improving CTR for your account and would add more relevany too. At the sametime, if you happen to identify the irrelevant terms also, simply add them as negative keywords at ad group or campaign level so that your ads don't show for unwanted queries online.

I think that you have a single campaign running nationwide for all the products. I would advice you to further investigate this by drilling down the data in terms of geographical regions. Go to Dimensions Tab and extract the regional report and see which all regions are more profitable in terms of sales. You might consider creating separate campaigns for regions which have not yet converted. Taking them out of the single national campaign and running separately might give you more exposure. Just a thought of mine.

As Zee mentioned campaign is set for Search and Display Networks both. I woudn't prefer that. In my opinion and as far as best practices are to be followed, there should be a separate campaign targeting Google Display Network (GDN). Although GDN has witnessed phenomenal change in the past, still I prefer to run it separate from Search. But yes, you can drill down GDN campaign to keyword level which wasn't possible earlier. You could bid more aggressively for the keywords attracting more traffic at individual level. Similarly, you can identify the automatic placements performing well for you and add them under Managed Placements so that your ads get more exposure on those specific domains.

I hope that helps somewhere Josh!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Re: How to increase conversions? - Josh needs your help how to drive sales to his 'Muscle Rope' busi

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Josh;

You are probably using these KWs in broad match in different Ad Groups, and they are competing. (Remember: broad match includes synonyms. e.g. "Workout Ropes" is a synonym of "Exercise Ropes". Thus, one triggers the ad of the other...)

1. Switch tomodified broad match That should resolve the problem;
  2. Here is a well appraised article on the subject, that explains which ad is triggered, when several keywords match the search query;

How similar keywords match to search terms

-Moshe

jbminney wrote:

One more thing that's driving me crazy!

I have about 10 different ad groups:

workout ropes

muscle ropes

exercise ropes

etc..

No matter how many times it tweak my keywords and try to ad the right negative keywords, a search for "Workout Ropes" returns "Exercise Ropes" and vice versa.

Help Please!

- Josh

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Re: How to increase conversions? - Josh needs your help how to drive sales to his Muscle Rope busine

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I look forward to any and all help! Thanks.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Josh,

Welcome to our Community Smiley Happy

As Zee mentioned above, the CTR has went down for you in the past 1 month. I would like you to check which keywords were responsible for low CTR. What is their match type in your campaign?

Look at the Search Terms which triggered out of the keywords in the past 30 days and whether most of the times delivered match type was broad, phrase or exact.

One idea to improve on your CTR would be to work on the terms which could deliver exact match queries matched with the user's search terms irrespective of the match type you are using. This would certainly assist in improving the CTR.

Another idea could be to look at the past good healthy data and identify the low CTR keywords which have not been profitable in the sense that you didn't receive any conversions out of them, but are relevant to your business. Shortlist those keywords and take them out from existing campaign and launch them separately. Doing this wouldn't harm the good performing high CTR keywords and with good conversion rate. Another advantage of this step could be that you would be able to analyze this new campaign and if the keywords still don't perform upto the level required, you could pause that campaign and focus on high converting keywords and optimize around those terms.

One good analysis would be to look for the Search Terms and see how many times the Close variants of your keywords were matched with user's search query (You should see this data from May onwards as per Google's announcement).If these close variants make sense and are relevant to your business, then it is ok, but otherwise if it's not proving worth, you might consider disabling the option of including close variants inside Advanced settings >> Keyword matching options.

Additionally, looking for the search terms which converted for you and probably adding them as keywords inside campaigns would further assist in improving CTR for your account and would add more relevany too. At the sametime, if you happen to identify the irrelevant terms also, simply add them as negative keywords at ad group or campaign level so that your ads don't show for unwanted queries online.

I think that you have a single campaign running nationwide for all the products. I would advice you to further investigate this by drilling down the data in terms of geographical regions. Go to Dimensions Tab and extract the regional report and see which all regions are more profitable in terms of sales. You might consider creating separate campaigns for regions which have not yet converted. Taking them out of the single national campaign and running separately might give you more exposure. Just a thought of mine.

As Zee mentioned campaign is set for Search and Display Networks both. I woudn't prefer that. In my opinion and as far as best practices are to be followed, there should be a separate campaign targeting Google Display Network (GDN). Although GDN has witnessed phenomenal change in the past, still I prefer to run it separate from Search. But yes, you can drill down GDN campaign to keyword level which wasn't possible earlier. You could bid more aggressively for the keywords attracting more traffic at individual level. Similarly, you can identify the automatic placements performing well for you and add them under Managed Placements so that your ads get more exposure on those specific domains.

I hope that helps somewhere Josh!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Josh,

In order to get more convertions I suggest to keep the 80% of your daily budget just to Search, and the rest of it to Display. You should have two different campaings to do that. I think the traffic you get from Search would be more likely to convert, because this users are already interest in your products.

This change in your budget distribution will also increase your total CTR.

To get a better Avg. position you could set a higher bid, or you could try to identify those keywords that have at the same time the highest CPC and the lowest CTR (guessing that this keywords didn´t get any convertions), and pause them. Try to have a large list of keywords and repeat this excercise occasionally.

And also remember to have some kind of match between your keywords and your text ads. Try to have enough ad groups so if you look to any group, you should always find similar keywords and text ads including this keywords.

André Torres

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello Josh;

I think your first step would be to separate the Display and Search campaigns.

• I suspect, that the lower CTR is a result of many impressions on the Display network that did not convert into clicks.
  • You sell technical items. My experience shows, that users  looking to buy technical items do it on the search network .
  • When your CTR is back to "nice" numbers, I would consider returning to advertise on the  Display. I would  do it using "specific reach" by setting  both placements and Keywords . In this setting / configuration your ads will be shown only on the most relevant web pages : Those (placements) you picked - that you know that are sites relevant to your business,  AND also have relevant content to  ropes (based on keywords contextual targeting)

Read more:

How Display Network reach settings affect where ads appear

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

I see you have a phone number on your website, so you might want to add in a call extension so your customers can call you quickly and easily to purchase your products. If you are not already targeting mobile phones I would recommend you try this as we tend to find that conversions increase when you target mobile phones, (up to 43% when we tested campaigns on this). 

Hope this helps!

A. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

First of all thank you all for your responses.  I appologize that I've been away from the discussion, as you read I am the owner and adwords admin so I get spread pretty thin once in a while.

Steps I've taken so far:

1) I've disabled the network display which was in fact causing me to have a pretty dismal CTR.  I think you're right that people are seeking out my product rather than happening on it by chance.

2) I've enabled a few more ad extensions and have a couple of questions:

a) I've added my phone number and have set up call forwarding through google.  I don't really understand how this works with the phony 877 number, the adantages, or whether I'd do better with my actual number.

b) I've added my location, but need to know if this only shows up when people who are geographically close to me search.  Since I sell nationally it is not beneficial for customers to know I'm on the other side of the country.

c) I'm currently trying to ad images to my ads through shopper, this task should be labeled "EXPERTS ONLY" as its not the most straightforward system of loading products.

A few more questions: 

1) I think the idea of targeting geographically is a great idea, not sure If I know the best way to go about it.  I have a couple markets/states that seem to gravitate toward my product, should I somehow target these with tailored ads?

2) Can anyone speak to the benefits of CPC vs. Conversion Optimizer.  A year ago I was on CPC, then switched to Conversion Opt. and that seemed to help.  I've since changed my ads quite a bit and went back to CPC.  I guess my biggest problem is that when I make changes to my ads there are a number of variables and I can never pinpoint what the problem/solution is.  Did I set my bid to low, broad vs. exact, ad content, ad rotation, fast/slow ad display... the list is endless and overwhelming.

I sincerely appreciate the help, I'll keep everyone updated.  So far the changes seem to be helping somewhat.

- Josh 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

workout ropes

muscle ropes

exercise ropes

etc..

No matter how many times it tweak my keywords and try to ad the right negative keywords, a search for "Workout Ropes" returns "Exercise Ropes" and vice versa.

Help Please!

- Josh

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Josh;

You are probably using these KWs in broad match in different Ad Groups, and they are competing. (Remember: broad match includes synonyms. e.g. "Workout Ropes" is a synonym of "Exercise Ropes". Thus, one triggers the ad of the other...)

1. Switch tomodified broad match That should resolve the problem;
  2. Here is a well appraised article on the subject, that explains which ad is triggered, when several keywords match the search query;

How similar keywords match to search terms

-Moshe

jbminney wrote:

workout ropes

muscle ropes

exercise ropes

etc..

Help Please!

- Josh

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hello again;

As for the Geo- targeting:  I do not see the advantage.

You are "playing" in a niche technical market. There are no cultural / language / nationality variances among your clients. They  all look for ropes with technical specs. (There are no "fashion trends" in ropes that vary  from one geographic region to another)

The only benefit that might be,  is analyzing the data by regions, But this data is easily available in Analytics...

-Moshe

jbminney wrote:

A few more questions: 

1) I think the idea of targeting geographically is a great idea, not sure If I know the best way to go about it.  I have a couple markets/states that seem to gravitate toward my product, should I somehow target these with tailored ads?

- Josh