AdWords
5K members online now
5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How to increase clicks and decrease bounce rate?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,
Most of Our running campaigns have very few clicks. We have change ads, provide better landing pages now in order to make ad Quality score better but still we can see almost same or less amount of clicks.
Secondly bounce rate is too high. People who reach at same landing page from organic search results perform and explore much better than those who came through PPC ad.
Currently overall bounce rate of our site www.ascertia.com for current month via organic search results is 60.92% whereas bounce rate from paid search is 84.33%
In goal setting area we can see good conversations from organic traffic but very few from paid.
Looking for kind advice.
Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to increase clicks and decrease bounce rate?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Osama,

If people are not clicking then I would consider two things to start.

1. Keyword Selection - are your keywords truly relevant?
2. Ad Copy - Is the ad copy relevant to the keywords?

If the keywords are really 100% relevant then take a hard look at the ad copy and see if it is clear and compelling enough for people to want to click.

Considering you have a low click through rate and a high bounce rate I think you probably need to do work on both the keywords and ad copy. Also take great care when selecting the website landing pages so you take people to the right content on the site. Testing landing pages is always a great idea but I would hold off on the testing until you get a decent volume of traffic via paid search so that you can get enough data for a good test.

Since the organic traffic is doing so much better take a look at what is happening organically. What keywords are sending traffic to the site, what locations, what content are they viewing. This may give you insight for the paid search account. I am not suggesting to cannibalize any of your organic traffic but to review it to give you insight.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
One follow up point - it is not unusual for organic traffic to out perform ppc traffic- as much as anythnig because organic traffic includes all those people who are searching for you because they know you - try filtering out the brand name searches (if there are any - it may be that there are not) and then compare the numbers - they may be closer than you think.

Unfortunately this is going to get harder and harder as Google stop reporting on the keywords for organic traffic - so get in quick to run this report if you can!

However, as Kim says - even without the keyword data there are other details you can pull out of your organic traffic - What time of the day is best? Where do people come from? How does mobile traffic compare to desktop? Which days of the week are best? All these answers can help you adjust your ppc campaigns to hit the best segment of your market.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

To find out how much time visitors spend when looking at 1 page , you can use this script which records events every 10 seconds :

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Measure-results/40-50-of-Visitors-are-spending-0-00-sec-on-l...

I have successfuly implemented it and now I have very low bounce rates in landing pages which contain almost all the information needed to generate a lead through calling. I can also see what visitors spend more than 2 minutes for example and separate them from the less interested who exit after a few seconds, even if the only visit 1 page.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Kim for the detailed reply.
Yes I put only those keywords in adword which have high search volume.

"Since the organic traffic is doing so much better take a look at what is happening organically. What keywords are sending traffic to the site, what locations, what content are they viewing"

> Well since Google analytics is no longer providing keyword data, its very difficult to analyse this thing. Any way am looking deep into other factors i.e. location , visiting pages etc. Hope i'll come up with better analysis soon.
Thanks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi stickleback, Thanks for your reply and tips.
Yes its going to be very hard to analyse which keywords providing organic traffic. Google is making it pretty difficult to analyse. Am focusing on rest of the factors now and hopefully come up with better analysis soon.
Thanks for your response.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Osama,

this is some general advice - that I've just copied and pasted from another response. The intent is the same because at this level there's not much difference. To be honest, if you have a sensible campaign set up for Google Adwords, you should be able to reverse-engineer it for your SEO activities. I know that others say that SEO's different - but people you need to speak to are still looking to buy something. Or interested or whatever. Your Adwords activities will tell you which keyword strings are most effective and using this you can aim for them on SEO.

Well, that's my take anyway!

*** Copied comment ***

Okay, so let's start with two things Google can't mess about with - in any way. Your ads and your landing pages (and subsequent messaging/contact/sales).

Remember that Google's stated aim is quality content/experience (in rough terms at least). Their aim now is to make more money. That's sad, but that's life in a recession with the shareholders baying for bigger dividends. Or whoever it is that's twisting Google's tail.

You need to improve your ads and you need to improve your landing pages. Doing so will improve your CTR. As mentioned elsewhere, Google charges you one penny more than the guy advertising beneath you. Or thereabouts. Whatever it is, if you have a 6% CTR and they have a 1.5% CTR - you are getting 4x the traffic. That means you'll pay roughly 1/4 of what your next lowest competitor is being charged.

How to do it: there will be something about your product that's mildly controversial. I'm a marketer and marketing's controversial enough and means there are plenty of opportunities to stand out. Because most people advertising are intent on sending you to sleep. That is to say, it's all "we're selling something". Getting controversial is already one step towards your customer - and in doing so you'll attract attention - and clicks.

Improving your sales funnel - the stages through your automated process before purchase - can be improved to reflect the needs of people visiting your site. This isn't for Google's quality controls, it's simply to make it easier for them to buy - and the simplest way to work out what this is, is to look at where they go and why. Split testing each stage of your funnel will have a dramatic effect on your sales. Doubling sales is pretty easy; multiplying them by 10x is pretty hard but not impossible. More to the point, all this work on your funnel is done with your current levels of traffic that Google's sending you.

Does this say anything to you? Have you any thoughts on this, because I can get detailed (but would need a little more info on your product).

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Keyword Selection.

I have looked at your site and tried to figure out what you are all about. Having fixed many client campaigns, I would bet that you are using "digital signatures" as a keyword. Yet, that is not a good one from what I can tell of your business which is digital signature solutions, at least part of your business.

If I search for "digital signature", it may not be because I'm looking for a solution. I could be asking "what is a digital signature" or a million other things. Only a small percentage may be looking for a solution. Hence, your clicks are not relevant for the most part and therefore, visitors leave quickly resulting in a high bounce rate.

You may even be using your home page which makes matters worse. You offer other services. If I search on one in particular, take me there. Don't make me look on your site.

Now if you bid on "digital signature solutions" and take me to the proper page, you'd like me to fill the form and even download some of your PDFs. Then your issue is more with guiding me to do those things.

So the first two issues are using proper and specific keywords and taking the visitor to the proper landing page. You'd also like the page to do what you want the visitor to do. Is it fill the form, download the information, buy something from you, all three?

Your ads then have to be compelling for people to click on them. What is the problem you are solving? Why should I choose you over a competitor?

Put all of these together and you'll have a successful and profitable campaign. Then apply what you learn to SEO to get more traffic that's "free".