Guide Me
star_border

How to improve your CTR

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 1
Rising Star

Hi everyone, 

I have well organized account for web development company with lot's of keywords in exact match inside. My landings are relevant, quality score is 5-7, I use dynamic insection in my ads. however average CTR is quite low ( around 2% ). 

Can you please give me suggestions on how I can increase CTR but not quality score. My ads. are on first positions - people just don't click on it. Extensions enabled. 

Thanks 

Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency
3 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alexey C
September 2015

Re: How to increase CTR rate

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Alexey C,

Welcome to the community! Firstly, you are in a very competitive market. I would emphasis here on Search Query Report & Exact Match Impression Share metrics. Please check these reports. If you have not done yet, you need to look in to search query report and add terms in negative which are not relevant. If The exact match impression share is low, you need to improve that and this can be done by maintaining high relevancy between your search query and keywords.

Since you are saying that people are not just clicking on your Ads, Simply indicates your adcopy are not catchy enough. You need to prepare adcopy which catches users attention. I would also recommend you to try some searches in Ad Preview tool and see your competitor ads. Is there is something which your competitors have and you are lacking behind. I never say to copy competitors but no harm in get ideas Smiley Happy

Also as you said you are on first position, it is not necessary that #1 position bring you profitable results. You can view Top vs Others report under segment and can get some idea at what position you are getting clicks. Although for search 2% CTR is not too bad but certainly there is a score of improvements.

I would also advice you to specifically look at individual keywords search query report for the keywords having very low CTR. Do you have so many keywords with very high impressions and no clicks. If yes, I would say write text adcopy, insert keywords and add some very strong call to action and try these keywords.

When you say well organized account, I am assuming you are having well bifurcated adgroup structure for your campaign.

Lastly, you are using DKI in your ads, I am sure/hope you have setup of keywords in your adgroup without misspellings etc.

Hope that helps you a bit! I am sure you are going to get lot of great advices here on this topic.

Thanks
Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
one of suggestion and the important one: type in search box above "improve CTR" and you will get threads with lot more information. This topic has always been popular here.

Thanks
Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Alexey,

I completely agree with Neha. You should check at your ad copy. If you are using exact match keywords only, then you should expect targeted traffic to your landing page. I would also suggest if you can analyse the bounce rate of your landing page. This may help you see if clicks that you are getting through your ad copy and keywords are really interested in your offerings or not. This would be very helpful in making right alterations to the ad copy.

I would also suggest you to create another ad copy and test it through ACE. This will certainly be instrumental in understanding the problems with the ad copy, if any.

I hope this helps.

Kapil M
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alexey C
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hello, Alexey.

You're mentioning exact match, which means the search queries are practically the keywords, right. Maybe some small variations, but esentially what you see (in the keywords) is what you get (in search terms).

Web development, as Neha says, is a competitive field. Probably many keywords have to do with this field and only some of them are used by people looking for your client's services.

If I were you I'd double check the keywords list and see if there aren't any with ambiguous meaning. If there are and if you've already spent a lot with no results, just ditch them. Maybe do a little more research and find some new keywords. Of course, as my fellow community members have already told you, trying to write better ads will not hurt.

And finally, if you can build some tight remarketing lists you may give those a try, both in search (where you can bid higher for people on them) and in display, where you could try to lure people back to the website.

Hope it helps.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Hi Neha,
Thank you for detailed answer!

I was using Search Query Report but didn't use Exact Match Impression Share metrics.
So I got such insights:
- average Exact Match Impression Share is 92,03%
- Search impression share is 58,89 %
So I am getting relevant traffic from keywords which are in exact match and I can increase traffic volumes significantly by adding new keywords. Please correct me if I am not using this data in a proper way.

Top vs Others report gave me some insights about where my traffic comes from - there are lot's of impressions from search partners without any clicks in some campaigns.
So I will disable search partners. Is it worth or should I leave it without changes?

DKI. I checked all keywords - they are not misspelled, Thank you for this insight - I will keep it in mind when I will create new campaigns.

Thanks! You are awesome.
Alexey
Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Alexey,

To be honest with you while writing my answer I thought you are using large amount of exact keywords but you are also using some of broad, bmm or phrase match keywords, that's the reason I suggested Search query and exact match Impression Share report. With exact match keywords campaign, search query are same as keywords or close variants of keywords as Explained by Calin.

In order to improve Impression share for your campaign, you correctly said you need to add more keywords which are relevant. But you also need to check why you are losing impression share - is it because of budget or lost ad rank. If because of budget, you need to raise budget (but I only prefer raise budget if my campaign are close to limited by budget). If loosing because of Ad Rank then you need to raise QS. As CTR is main component of QS - you need to improve CTR which you already trying.

About Search Partners : Firstly I want to tell you here the report which you looked at is Network under segment.

For turning off search partner - If I would be in your place, I would actually compare both search and search partner campaign stats. For example, if I see both the network are getting lot more impressions but very less clicks. I will work on my adcopies. If I see search improved and search partners are still showing same trends - I would turn off search partner.

Actually it's because you said you are not getting clicks but getting impressions - My aim here is first to improve clicks by making tweaks in my adcopy for the impressions available.

Apart from the above I also would utlitize match types BMM & phrase along with exact match with effective negative keyword strategy. I think we can't think of all possible keywords which user types in search engine. I am not saying to add lot of bmm, phrase keywords but some highly relevant can be tested for sure.

Final Advice: First thing to add attractive adcopy & Add new keywords as suggested by Calin.

Hope it helps!

Thanks
Neha

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star
Thank you Neha!
Yes, you are completely right. I am using keywords in exact, phrase and BBM to get better quality score with exact and not to lose potential traffic with BMM.
I was adding some new ad.copies previously but it didn't lead to significant changes in CTR, so I just need to work on campaigns on a daily\weekly basis making small improvements to
Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Good Luck Alexey with your campaign progress! Smiley Happy