AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How to get to the top of page 1 on a £1.50 per day budget???

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, we are a small company selling glycerine, just my father and I work in it.

How to get to the top of page 1 on a £1.50 per day budget???

www.astorwi.co.uk

Thanks

Marcus

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to get to the top of page 1 on a £1.50 per day budget???

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

HI medspek

Honestly that sounds very difficult.

I believe you should look at a target ROI instead of fixed budgets.

If you can share more details about your business, objectives and target audience may be community can help you with some ideas but honestly i dont really think you can stay on top of the page at 1.5 per day.

Regards

nik

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Nik

Many many thanks for your reply, we sell alot of bits and bobs for people to make there own cosmetics, of course we all have to spend money to make money but getting to the top on my budget means only the big businesses can acheive this.

Thanks

Marcus

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi

• I believe your aim is to drive business
  • To drive business its not necessary that your ad has to be on the top all the time
  • It depends on what geo you are targeting and how many keywords you want to bid on
  • How competetive those keywords are 
  • I think you should start with investing some time reading this http://support.google.com/adwords/certification/?hl=en
  • If possible also invest $50 and take fundamentals exam.
  • Rather than investing any money on clicks its better 1st to invest time on reading more on adwords.
  • While you are reading if you hit a wall somewhere you are most welcome to ask questions in community
  • Hope that makes sense

Regards

Nik

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi medspek, you've already had some good advice from theniks there, I'll just underline a few points.

To get "to the top" isn't exclusively for big businesses.  Although £1.50 per day would be considered a very small budget, it doesn't have to become much bigger to be a useful one - at least at first.  The whole point is that you should consider advertising (any advertising, not just AdWords) as an investment, not a spend.  You must ensure your site tracks sales from AdWords (called "conversions") so you know when AdWords has lead to a sale.  You can then measure the value of your advertising and adjust the budget accordingly.  In theory, it really doesn't matter what your budget is, £5 per day or £50,000, so long as you are returning a net profit (or Return On Investment - ROI).

This is why, especially when your budget is initially low, that you must be able to track your sales from AdWords and make sure this is in place before you spend a single penny.

To underline another point, you don't need to be #1, you'll get clicks and sales from pretty much any other position your Ad is shown; what changes is the frequency of the clicks and the frequency of the sales but you'll also pay more per click.  Again, when your budget is low, don't try to be #1, aim for something like position 1 on the right or even #3 or #4.

I would add just one small note of caution.  There is an AdWords policy linked to "Advertiser Claims" (read more about it here) and I'm just a little concerned that some of the statements on your site are very "absolute", things like "you can be assured it will prevent disease spreading".  Well, no, you can't.  You can be assured it will help to prevent disease spreading, you can't say it definitely will.  It would be worth checking the content of your site for absolutes like this and to make sure than any other claims (anything like "kills 99% of germs") are backed up by published research/data.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jon

Really, many thanks for taking the time to respond. All the claims on are website are backed by medical testing, this is part of our USP. The website is only a week old and I will put the testing results on today or tomorrow as I am still building.

I take onboard everything you have said. The only point I would disagree with is being top or close does bring the highest sales. Out of sight, out of mind, however I will be spending my small amount and turning profit it back in to adwords to increase the daily budget.

Many thanks for replying to my post.

Regards

Marcus

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Marcus, how do you know the top spot brings the highest sales if your website is only a week old?  Have you been advertising on another site?  There are a lot of factors that come into play when you start juggling with Ad Positions.  Although it has been proven (from Google research) that the Top spots get the highest CTR, this is not necessarily the same as getting the best sales.  A lot depends upon the product, the profit margin, the CPC, the Ad Copy and even seasonal variations.  

Trust me, there are plenty of very high spend advertisers out there who actively try to avoid the #1 spot.  Why?  Because if you're getting 100,000 clicks per month, the difference between paying $1 and 1.10 is $10,000.  If you only lose $3,000 worth of sales, it's an easy choice to make.

Of course, all this said, it may be that for you the top spot works best, but you can't say that's true for all businesses.

This video explains in some detail the process of assessing and measuring Incremental Click Costs and their effect on profitability.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRx7AMb6rZ0

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Another consideration...

How much would you pay for some really good market research? $100 - $200?

What if this market research were actually dedicated to your ad campaigns and your website - and how real people actually interact with your site and how many of them would actually buy your product? $300 - $400?

Put it like that and that kind of level of "investment" would be well within most people's business plan. After all - that kind of data is gold, isn't it?

As Jon says - AdWords advertising is an investment. And it's easier to think about the spend as an investment if you call it market research (I do this exercise often with clients).

The quicker you can build the data, the quicker you can analyze it. Which means if you spend $15 a day for 10 days, you will get 10 times the data on which to base your campaign management decisions. Look at it another way - you will spend 10 days instead of 100 days to have as clear a picture of what is working for you (and what is not).

Lots of ways to look at this......