AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How to ensure my daily budget gets exhausted?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Budget for my clients varies throughout the week. For eg. if they set $100 for weekdays, they double it to $200 on weekends as they get quality traffic on Sat and Sun.

But I have noticed that if i double the budget on weekends, it does not get exhausted completely. I have heard it takes time for Adwords to get adjusted to increased budget.

My question is how can I ensure that the increased budget gets exhausted on weekends and I am able to generate more traffic and leads.

Thanks in advance

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to ensure my daily budget gets exhausted?

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello naushin h ,

I can't tell you what to do because that would mean taking responsibility for what happens with your client's money, I can only share my experience with what I did in such a situation and you can decide what option suits you, also others can join to give more advice :

1) I changed the delivery to accelerated from standard
2) I raised the bid by 10-20% in general
3) I raised some top converting keywords to a bid that fits the "Top of page estimate" + 10-20%
4) I raised the daily budget starting from Friday to avoid an undocumented delay that might occur.
5) I activated a special ad group for the weekend with Ads that address the needs for people who are free to shop only then with call to action "Sunday, shopping day" , or if you can use a general coupon code, put it in the ad text "Weekend discount ... " to increase CTR

Hope this helps, this was the best of my knowledge.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi there;
You are correct; these frequent changes in budget are not "healthy" to the system; Smiley Surprised
Assuming that you  do not want to change the bids during the weekends, the way you could do that, is to set a separate campaign for the weekends and split the overall monthly budget between the two.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

@Naushin H :  MosheTLV's advice is very good, short and to the point, that is the first thing to do, splitting into campaigns.

@MosheTLV : I am starting to learn from your style and to adapt, I find it difficult, I hope you will notice progress in my answers because I want to do good things not bad ones. I've put an email address in my profile in case you want to give private forum moderation, or general pointers. Thank you.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
No need to split campaigns for weekdays and weekends, there's rules you can set up to handle this for you all in one campaign.

To me the issue is simple. Using up a budget is dependent on search volumes (I'm assuming you are talking about a search campaign), click rate and CPC.

You can't do anything about search volumes unless you use broader keywords, not something I normally advise doing. You can of course increase CPC and that could do the trick. Having ads with higher CTR and thus more clicks will do it too.

My advice is, first ensure you have good QS of 7 and up. Your budget should then be enough to target 100% of the impression share (or as close to it) for the highest volume day of the week. Multiply this number by your CTR and CPC to give a daily budget. Typically, volumes are within a certain range day to day with lower volumes on weekends. Adjust budget as needed when CTR and CPC increase. What I do is simply go way over my calculation so I don't have to adjust budgets. It's just to cover any overages, I'm not looking to spend it all.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Lucid_Marketing  is correct that this can be done using the rules

However; I did not get into that from the following:

• Two rules have to be applied: one to increase, and another to reduce the budget  (at the end of the weekend);
  • As I said; my opinion; is that  frequent "high impact" / "step function"  changes in campaign's  parameters  (e.g CPC, budget) "take the system out"  of its "comfort zone" / steady sate.

Hence, I rather have two campaigns, each runs on its schedule, than changing campaign's' parameters in  a "step  function".

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Take care with the rules also....

Let's say your budget is $100 and you set a rule to raise by 25% for the weekend - that takes it to $125... then if you set a rule to lower by 25% it doesn't go back to the $100 but rather goes to $93.75... simple to miss! I know from experience - doh!

I do find that Google handles two campaigns with their own budgets (as per Moshe's suggestion) much better than campaigns governed by these kind of rules.

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I do not mean to confuse the OP , but since many have gathered to provide various inputs to describe many angles of the problem , I have a dilema of my own related to splitting in 2 campaigns.

I wonder what is the budget impact for a campaign that runs only 8 days per month due to the +20% rule explained here  . 

"on any single day, you can receive up to 20% more in costs than your daily budget, but other days will be capped at a lower amount to make up for it. This is called overdelivery."

Does it mean that +20% can occur for each of the 8 weekend days or that the amount will also be lowered in some of the 8 days to balance it to an average ? It would be good for Naushin h to understand how this works.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Ouch! Smiley Surprised

stickleback wrote:

Take care with the rules also....

Let's say your budget is $100 and you set a rule to raise by 25% for the weekend - that takes it to $125... then if you set a rule to lower by 25% it doesn't go back to the $100 but rather goes to $93.75... simple to miss! I know from experience - doh!

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Ha ha!

I caught it quickly - but it could throw the numbers out quite badly if you were doing larger changes!