AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3K members online now
3K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How to easily do landing page split testing?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have 36 ad groups and 78 different ads.  They all go to the same landing page.  I now have a second landing page I want to try and want to run an experiment with a 50/50 split.  How or where do I apply the new landing page URL for the experiment?

I have reviewed all the experiments info and videos.  But I did not see anything that specifically details how to setup a test just for the landing page URL used.

4 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: How to easily do landing page split testing?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi WhySoComplex; welcome to our community;

Please note that as of last mouth, all content testings have been reorganized under "one roof" and have been moved to Analytics:

Read more:

Helping to Create Better Websites: Introducing Content Experiments

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hello.

Even if having so many adgroups pointing to the same landing page leaves me a bit puzzled (unless your current landing page is a dynamically generated one which changes elements according to the keywords / ads for example), here's a way of doing it. I have not tested it yet, but I assume it should work.

In the Adwords online interface, you should create an experiment in your campaign, with 50%-50% traffic split.

• You download your account to AdWords Editor.
  • You export your current campaign ads, from the AdWords Editor, to a CSV file.
  • You edit that CSV file, and bulk replace the current landing page with the new landing page.
  • You import that CSV file back to the AdWords Editor.

At this point, every ad you had before, pointing to the original landing page, should have an identical copy, pointing to the new landing page (with only the destination URL differing).

After doing this, you should choose the ads tab, and you'll see a list with all your ads in that campaign.

Once you see all your ads, you filter them by destination URL (advanced search). First the original landing page, and you set those ads to run in "Control only". Then the new landing page, and you set these ads to run in "Experiment only".

Upload your changes and you're ready to test each ad (pointing to the original landing page) against the new ads.

If you want to see aggregate stats, just click on "all campaigns", choose "Segment - Experiment" and you'll see how your campaign does, on aggregate. Dig deeper, at ad groups level, and you'll see how that level does. Go into an ad group, and you'll see how your ads compete against each other.

Now, of course that being able to say: I want to test this page against that page, and do it through Google Analytics, for instance, but there are at least two problems there:

1) Google Analytics Experiments no longer do 50-50% traffic split, but rather favor the winner after some clicks (in order to avoid losing potential conversions)

2) I don't think you can specify, in an Analytics experiment, that you only want to test AdWords traffic, coming from that campaign.

And now, the "cake on the icing" Smiley Happy, as a comedian would say: the absolute easiest (though requiring programmers) would be to redirect, server side, half of the traffic to the new landing page and set, for instance, a custom variable with visit scope, in Google Analytics. Then look at Google Analytics stats and see which one performs better.

Something like:

- Is this traffic from that campaign (hopefully identified with a unique URL)?

- whose turn is it?

- If "control", stay on that page, and write "control" as custom variable + write a flag in a database to redirect next visit to experiment.

- If "experiment", redirect to the new page, write "experiment" as CV, write the database flag.

Every once in a while you should look at Google Analytics and compare performance, and see if the results are statistically significant or not. This way it would be easier to create the experiment, and harder to check results. In the initial proposal, you'd work more to create the experiment, but it would be easier for you to see the results, as long as you are clearly tracking a conversion in AdWords.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Welcome To Our Growing Community,

I found a good aticle for you.

How To Use ACE For Landing Page Testing With Minimal Risk

More Power,
Loraine

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So, based on that not so simple description I have to make duplicate copies of all my ad groups and ads and then apply the new landing page URL manually to every copy?  Really?  There has to be a simpler, easier, and faster way.  I don't have a whole day to devote to setting something like this up.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

If you have AdWords Editor, it is faster to duplicate of course.

More Power,
Loraine
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi WhySoComplex; welcome to our community;

Please note that as of last mouth, all content testings have been reorganized under "one roof" and have been moved to Analytics:

Read more:

Helping to Create Better Websites: Introducing Content Experiments

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the update Sir Moshe. On my end,experiment field is still working surprisingly.Smiley Wink

More Power,
Loraine
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hello.

Even if having so many adgroups pointing to the same landing page leaves me a bit puzzled (unless your current landing page is a dynamically generated one which changes elements according to the keywords / ads for example), here's a way of doing it. I have not tested it yet, but I assume it should work.

In the Adwords online interface, you should create an experiment in your campaign, with 50%-50% traffic split.

• You download your account to AdWords Editor.
  • You export your current campaign ads, from the AdWords Editor, to a CSV file.
  • You edit that CSV file, and bulk replace the current landing page with the new landing page.
  • You import that CSV file back to the AdWords Editor.

At this point, every ad you had before, pointing to the original landing page, should have an identical copy, pointing to the new landing page (with only the destination URL differing).

After doing this, you should choose the ads tab, and you'll see a list with all your ads in that campaign.

Once you see all your ads, you filter them by destination URL (advanced search). First the original landing page, and you set those ads to run in "Control only". Then the new landing page, and you set these ads to run in "Experiment only".

Upload your changes and you're ready to test each ad (pointing to the original landing page) against the new ads.

If you want to see aggregate stats, just click on "all campaigns", choose "Segment - Experiment" and you'll see how your campaign does, on aggregate. Dig deeper, at ad groups level, and you'll see how that level does. Go into an ad group, and you'll see how your ads compete against each other.

Now, of course that being able to say: I want to test this page against that page, and do it through Google Analytics, for instance, but there are at least two problems there:

1) Google Analytics Experiments no longer do 50-50% traffic split, but rather favor the winner after some clicks (in order to avoid losing potential conversions)

2) I don't think you can specify, in an Analytics experiment, that you only want to test AdWords traffic, coming from that campaign.

And now, the "cake on the icing" Smiley Happy, as a comedian would say: the absolute easiest (though requiring programmers) would be to redirect, server side, half of the traffic to the new landing page and set, for instance, a custom variable with visit scope, in Google Analytics. Then look at Google Analytics stats and see which one performs better.

Something like:

- Is this traffic from that campaign (hopefully identified with a unique URL)?

- whose turn is it?

- If "control", stay on that page, and write "control" as custom variable + write a flag in a database to redirect next visit to experiment.

- If "experiment", redirect to the new page, write "experiment" as CV, write the database flag.

Every once in a while you should look at Google Analytics and compare performance, and see if the results are statistically significant or not. This way it would be easier to create the experiment, and harder to check results. In the initial proposal, you'd work more to create the experiment, but it would be easier for you to see the results, as long as you are clearly tracking a conversion in AdWords.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok, so I tried Adwiser's suggestion and it didn't work.  I got the Adwords Editor, I exported all the Ads to a CSV file, I changed the landing page URL for all ads in the CSV file, saved the file and imported it back to the editor.  The import didn't add duplicates of every ad with the different landing page URL.  It overwrote all of the existing ads so all I had was the same ads with the new URL.  So now what?

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

I'm pretty sure it used to work in previous versions of the AdWords Editor, as at that time I specifically tried to edit my ads and I ended up with duplicates.

Let me ask if this is a bug or if it is indeed how the editor is supposed to behave.

Sorry for sending you on a wild goose chase.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi,

I just took a quick look through this thread.  I think I may have a quick and easy way to accomplish the duplication of ad groups and ads and updates to all new ad URL's, without exports to csv at all.  This has nothing to do with the experiments  part but once set up in the UI, I believe that some Experiment settings can be altered through AE as well.

1.  Open account in AE

2.  Copy/Paste Ad Groups - rename etc...

3.  Go to ads tab - all campaigns

4.  Select all new/copied ads (these should be highlighted ads - unposted local change no conflicts)

5.  With all ads selected, change URL once in the edit fields - all highlighted ads URL's will be updated

6.  Publish changes

Give this a shot and see if it works for you.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’