How to disable just the single keyword?

Imi
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Imi
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

for example i want to achieve this:

When searched for "cars" i dont wanna display the ad.

When searched for "cars xyz" or "xyz cars" it shall be displayed.

How to achieve that?

At the moment i have "cars" as positive phrase keyword and [cars] as negative keyword. Adwords says the KW is not showing, but in fact it is showing.

Is there a better way to solve that issue?

Greets

ImI

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to disable just the single keyword?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

If you don wanna show ads to be displayed for cars at all, you need to delete/pause it from positive keywords too.

Thanks
Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Imi,

Welcome to the Community!

Neha is right on, you should not target any keywords that you do not which your ads to show up for and the exact match negative usage is correct as well.

I thought I would add in something else though, that you may want to consider. 

If you have broad match keywords that include the word cars, I suppose there is a chance that you could indeed match the single term search query 'cars' still.  Please keep in mind that the keyword match types you decide to employ have a great impact on how these keywords will act.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

First time ever not agree with Tom! Imi already having negative keyword [cars] in his campaign. I don't think any search query trigger ad for the term cars.

Also I would like to add here that along with [cars] as -ve keywords please add [car] as well.

Thanks
Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Imi
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Imi
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The point is i want to show the ad whenever the keyword is entered together with other random keywords. But when just the keyword is entered the ad shall not be displayed.

Therefore i need for example "cars" in the positive keyword list.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello Imi,

To be honest, "cars" is a very generic keyword which you are using for your Adwords. It could attract relevant as well as irrelevant traffic in my opinion.

Try reviewing your Search Terms Report and identify more specific and relevant keywords around your business. I am sure you will get many negatives from it. You might be interested in reading how to build best keyword list.

Just a thought!

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Imi,

It is not advisable to keep single word keyword in campaign. As it brings lot of irrelevant queries too. It is better to enhance your keywords list and keep tightly themed adgroups in your campaign to get better results. Else you will loose lof ot money out of irelevant keywords.

Cars can trigger car inusrance, car accessories, car spare parts, car covers, car music system and every single term that is related to car. 

Phrase match for single keywords work same as broad match keyword.

You need yo build a good keywords list for your campaign. You can use Google Keyword tool, You will also get some ideas from Google Insights from Search.

You can utilize search term report to find out positive and negative keywords both and can expand by digging into Search Terms report

Example: While searching for car accesroies, you might come across keywords such as ‘buy car accessories” etc you can collect negative and positive when doing keywords research from Google Keyword tool & other tools.

I would also use Contextual Targeting tool for keyword ideas. I prefer to keep an close eye on the negatives that can come across me while doing research for positive keywords.

You can explore keyword Ideas from opportunity tab too. Here you can other ideas also such as budget, bids etc.

Also I would like you to go through the Update by google on “New matching behavior for phrase and exact match keywords”. Exact and Phrase will start showing your ads on search terms which also includes misspellings, plurals, singurals, stemming etc. This option is avaibale at campaign setting which can be opt-in & opt-out.

Recommended Article From Adwords Wiki: 

Keyword Lists

AdWords Keywords: 3 Steps for Success

Google Keyword Tool

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Again,

Perhaps, I should have made things clearer in my post. 

1.  The negative use of [cars] will stop your ads from matching when someone searches for cars in your account.

2.  The part of my previous post about broad match is a general statement about keyword selection and match type use, not so specific to this exact scenario.

I did get slightly away from the exact query by the OP which is "how do I disable a single keyword?"

My apologies.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Imi
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Imi
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

OK, thank you for your answers! But i think i have to explain my case a little further to you.

"Cars" was just an example. In fact the keywords are biotech related, for example "renin" is one keyword i used for a while.

Those biotech keywords have very little traffic and that causes some problems:

First i used just "renin" as exact match and phrase match keyword, but both got very very poor results. So the next step was to build longer and better keywords like "buy renin" "renin supplier" or something like this and to build a large negative keyword list to filter out the useless traffic.

But those better keywords arent displayed by google at all! "Search Volume to low" is the message i get.

So how to address keywords like "buy renin" and on the other hand stop the display of "renin" as single keyword cause it gets so poor results?

I "solved" it like this:

Negative Keyword: [renin]

Positive Keyword: "renin"

Any help appreciated.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi Imi,

You're going to have to walk a fine line when working in a 'not so popular' vertical.  Even though you're seeing the 'Low Search Volume' message, are you receiving any impressions?  Occasionally over time, these KW will actually generate some action, it just may not be enough to give you the results you're looking for.  How much irrelevant traffic can you get on such low search volume terms. Have you tried to use any broader keywords to see what the search queries will actually look like?  When I search 'renin', I see only medical docs etc...

You're in a difficult situation.  You're trying to keep such a refined traffic flow in an area of low search volumes to begin with.

By using combinations of longer-tail keywords (multiple terms per keyword), your negative lists (not too strict) and broader match types, you could potentially open up your reach with your ads.

Often, to get a sense of what the traffic for a particular business will look like, I'll start with the broader terms and as suggested previously and use reporting (Search Terms Reports) to refine things. 

-Tom