AdWords
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How to detect click fraud for mobile device (Click to call option)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello
I'm having some issues with fraud clicks on Mobile devices (setting for click to call only), I have been losing a lot of money for invalid clicks in the last few days and am looking for way to protect myself.

Today for example, I had 12 clicks from mobile devices and yet I got only 2 calls. As my ratio for clicks to calls in other campaigns is above 80%, Its obvious I lost $250 for fraud today..

I still want to use the Mobile channel (click to call) and if I can get rid of the fraud clicks it will be very profitable for me. Is there anything I can do to protect myself? Is there any way to block Mobile devices that already clicked on the ad?

Also, is there anyway for me to get my money back from this invalid clicks? Since it was mobile click to call clicks, I have no IP addresses or any information about these clicks.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to detect click fraud for mobile device (Click to call option)

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi David,

Thank you for your posting. Regarding your question about invalid clicks, Google has filtering & detection systems in place for invalid clicks. You can see how many invalid clicks you receive by adding the 'invalid clicks' column in your Adwords account. Ad the report by clicking on the 'columns' tab/icon at account/campaign level. The invalid clicks column shows clicks that your were 'not' charged for & an indication of how Googles technology has filtered these clicks.

If you suspect that your account is affected by invalid click activity, we'll be happy to investigate your account. However, many suspected cases of invalid clicks are actually the result of valid reasons for increases in click activity. For instance, an increase in your clicks or cost could be due to your ads showing more often on the network or could be due to an increase in your daily budget. Very often, simple checks in your account can help you to immediately identify the reason for a traffic fluctuation and make campaign adjustments to improve your return-on-investment (ROI). 

Click on this link if you would like to have Google check your invalid click activity.

There is also a similar thread with some great suggestions from the community you may want to consider implementing. I hope this information is helpful.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

This is technically interesting. If only we could asign an audience to those who click just on the phone numbers. I do now know how to solve this. Analytics tracks visits to pages but in this case there is no visit.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Like my rep at clickreport.com says, why does Google Adwords provide the IP address of the user?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Paul, The problem with your response to David C. is that you are not addressing his problem. Those of us in this thread do not have a problem with "click" fraud, it's "call" fraud that is the issue. Google appears not to be keeping up with its own success; mobile searches are quickly out-performing PC searches and detecting and protecting against fraud by using IP addresses no longer works, at least not for those of us paying for 'click to call'. I'm running close to 30% of my calls show durations of under 30 seconds and many of those are 0 seconds. This is obviously my competitors committing "call" fraud - not 'click' fraud. Please help!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I completely understand your problem. I wish Google could address this issue. I've submitted my account for invalid click activity three times and they have all said that they couldn't find any invalid clicking. I get at least 10  invalid clicks that google does catch and another 10 daily that Google says it wasn't invalid. That is on my El Paso location. In my Austin location I had to turn off my campaign completely and advertise in the local directories. I get a minimum of 30 click to call clicks within the first three hours and not one phone call. If I turn off the click to call then I get about 4 hours until my budget is depleted. I've called several times and I can't seem to get someone who can help me with that. It seems that it would be very simple to monitor since they can just count the calls that are more than 25 seconds long and all others shouldn't count. I have a locksmith business in three different cities and I've had to turn off Google in two of those cities due to invalid clicks. Im praying that that doesn't happen to the last one but this last month I already started seeing a much larger amount of invalid clicks. I just hope I can keep advertising. If anyone has found a solution for this please advice. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

googles click fraud algorithm is woefully inadequate.

I wont post what it does and what it doesnt detect, as I dont want to give ammunition to those who see click fraud as a legitimate part of their business activity.

If google would provide the ip address of click to call activities. Then that would give advertisers a chance to protect themselves.

Or even charge per call rather than click. With the ability to filter out anonymous calls.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I totally agree! I finally stopped all my adword accounts because of
Google's inability to control the click-to-call fraud. $8K - $10K a month
I'm no longer wasting.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Wouldn't you be better to send the mobile user to a landing page where you post a phone number? I get the slight inconvenience factor to the mobile user. However, one additional step shouldn't kill the conversion if the user truly wants/needs the service being offered.

Doing it this way will enable you to detect the visitor's IP address and unique visitor ID with a service like ClickReport.com. Then you can block the user in Google's IP address exclusion tool. 

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Nope! Wouldn't work in my business; my clients want tap their phone to dial
a number and get a human voice on the line - immediately. If there was one
step between they'd simply go to the next number on the list. Wouldn't it be
more professional for Google to NOT charge for calls under 30 seconds? Even
15 seconds? You have some smart people working there, I'm sure they could
figure it out.

Orange County Bail Bonds

Note: this post has been edited by a Community Manager, per Community Posting Guidelines.