AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How to decide on the best budget for retargeting campaigns?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello community, 

I have recently set up some retargeting campaigns in which I am targeting specific audiences imported from Google Analytics.  I noticed that google keeps asking me to increase my budget and it will never stop doing so eventhoug I set cap on viewable impressions.  

How can I find out the best budget to use on my retargeting campaigns? 

P.S I cannot use display planner as its a remarketing list and I cant import this audience there.  

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to decide on the best budget for retargeting campaigns?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Kyriakos C how are you measuring the success of your Campaigns?  The simple answer is that if the Campaigns are successful, you should increase the budget until it is satisfied.  If the Campaign is not successful, you'll need to make changes to the targeting, Ads, landing page, etc. until it is successful, or, if nothing can make it successful, stop altogether.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello @Jon_Gritton, thank you for your  reply.

I messaure it based on CPL.  It seems I did not explain myself well.  

I want to ensure that I will set the right budget to reach all audience effectively. I dont know whether you are familiar with facebook campaigns but when setting up a budget of your campaign you can see the average estimated number of people which will see your ads.  This way, you can calculate the frequency in which your audience will see your ads. 

For example, I have an audience of 21,000 people.  How do I ensure that all audience will see my ads at least 5 times per day?  

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Kyriakos C with Remarketing, you can't ensure all your 21,000 people all see the Ad 5 times because the visibility of your Ads is not under your control, it's affected by whether the person on your list actually visits the web, and what sites they visit when they do.  You can stop an individual from seeing more than 5 impressions a day by capping, which you're already doing, but you can't force everyone on the list to visit the web or visit pages showing Ads.

What might help would be to use a Campaign based upon Viewable Impressions (CPM) rather than CPC.  Combine this with a cap on impressions and you should be able to ensure that what budget is used is spread more evenly amongst all the people the list as and when (and if) they visit the web.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello @Jon_Gritton, I know I cant force them, I want to ensure that the maximum people possible will see my ad.  Unfortunately it cannot be a CPM campaign as our CPL is more than $200.  You can understand the increase in CPL we will experience with this. 

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Kyriakos C there's no reason necessarily to think that a CPM Campaign will change your CPL, especially if it allows you to spread your budget to a larger percentage of your audience list (and therefore gives you a better chance of a conversion).

At the end of the day though, the simple answer to ensuring the most people see your Ad is to ensure the budget is sufficient.  As I said initially, is the Campaign successful?  Does it give you a positive ROI?  If it does, you should be able to provide the budget required.  If it doesn't, if you're making a loss and you cannot make changes to improve, you have to ask why you're continuing with the Campaign at all.