AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How to control your keywords in ad groups

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I am running Adwords for my company & it is going fine the converstions are low (working on landing pages). My boss wants to add 100-200 keywords or more than that, when already the search terms goes 20-30max for relevant KWs. Thou i have explained him how adwords work with Keyword Match Types.

I assured him all these 100-200+ keyowrds can be easily handled with most relevant keywords & controlled by match types. Still he wants to add a lot of keywords. I am fully aware about the budget its gonna burn, explained them as well.

Moreover hardly i can find 20-30 relevant keywords for that ad group via Google Keyword Planner tool. Please advice the rite approach, or how could i help understand them

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Fahad S
August 2016

Re: How to control your keywords in ad groups

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Fahad,

This is what most of us experience while working with the superiors don't understand the basics of the Adwords Smiley Happy

To prove your point to the superior regarding different keyword match type, I would suggest you to add some close variations of the present keywords too in the account and label them differently. 

When the overall impressions in the account won't increase much in a week or so(assuming you won't make much changes in the account), you can go back to your superior with the data.

He should listen to your advice this time as what you are saying is backed with a Solid Data. You can always pause those new keywords later in one go as you have labeled them separately Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Fahad,
There is no option left if you explained everything and your client still want you to do follow his/her instruction. I have faced similar situation once with a client and I start following instruction blindly and at last when my client complained about low conversion and high cost I have said loud and clear that I followed your instruction and warned you earlier about the consequences.

Later on he stopped giving instruction.

Thanks

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Santosh,

The only thing i want to make clear is if too add hundred of keyword, or use less keyword with tightly controlled my match types.

Thanks

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
I understand your point but if you are not allowed to do so you have to go with client's instruction.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks Santosh,

I was asking you if i was on the right track Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
You're right - your boss is wrong...

but we'll do as he says....

Ever seen the Lion King? It's the circle of life!!

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

haha you are rite @stickleback Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Make it 5 different ad set with maximum 20 keywords, Than choose Phrase match & run the campaign. Hope it will work

Thank You
Kazim
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Fahad S
August 2016

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Fahad,

This is what most of us experience while working with the superiors don't understand the basics of the Adwords Smiley Happy

To prove your point to the superior regarding different keyword match type, I would suggest you to add some close variations of the present keywords too in the account and label them differently. 

When the overall impressions in the account won't increase much in a week or so(assuming you won't make much changes in the account), you can go back to your superior with the data.

He should listen to your advice this time as what you are saying is backed with a Solid Data. You can always pause those new keywords later in one go as you have labeled them separately Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks @Deepak Smiley Happy