AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How to block short keywords ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,  

Hopefully Someone can help me.  

I want to block the search term "South Africa"  
but not any search term that has more then South Africa .. example South Africa Information/products/trips/flights or anything like that..  

I just don't want me ad to be shown if the user is just searching for "south africa"  
but all my keywords contain the words South Africa  

If i add "South Africa" as a negative exact, will it block South Africa Products for example ?   

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Judd
September 2015

Re: How to block short keywords ?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Judd,

Negative exact will only block [South Africa] and nothing else. Negative phrase will block other terms containing "South Africa".

So if you want to block the term [South Africa] and only that term or Search query then add it as a negative exact.

Hope that helps

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
If you use "south africa" as a phrase match and -[south africa] as a negative exact match you will trigger ads for all and any search terms that contain south africa - unless that search term is exactly: south africa - and nothing else.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Judd
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Judd,

Negative exact will only block [South Africa] and nothing else. Negative phrase will block other terms containing "South Africa".

So if you want to block the term [South Africa] and only that term or Search query then add it as a negative exact.

Hope that helps
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
If you use "south africa" as a phrase match and -[south africa] as a negative exact match you will trigger ads for all and any search terms that contain south africa - unless that search term is exactly: south africa - and nothing else.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Clynton

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you stickleback