Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How to block keywords containing "FREE"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Guys,

I am running an ad campaign where I am using a broad modifier keywords type. Forexample one of my keyword is
+Wordpress +video gallery +plugin
which giving a perfect CTR and showing me for the highly related search terms now the problem is my plugin is not free and google does show me for the search queries containing "free" word.

example: product video gallery extension free for wordpress

These serch queries are hurting my bounce rate which would ultimately cause a low QS.

Anyway to block all queries having free word in them?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
May 2017

Re: How to block keywords containing "FREE"

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Asad A,

Negative keywords can help you target precisely what users are actually trying to find. Therefore, you are advised to add the campaign level negative keyword -free. How you should be doing it also depends on your current AdWords experience. In a nutshell if you see a cogwheel in the upper right corner of your account, you're using the previous AdWords experience whereas if you don't, it's the new one. 

The below snip shows a section for adding ad group and campaign level negative keywords per the previous AdWords experience.

Capture0may09.JPG

Please refer to the help page linked-to below for more.

***   Add negative keywords to campaigns   ***

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/7102460

Best,

Lakatos

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Should i just add a single word negative keyword like "Free" only.
I believe it does not matter if i add this keyword as phrase, broad or exact match?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

It does matter. I'd add the negative broad match as shown in bold above. That should be enough to handle the issue you mentioned.

Lakatos