AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3K members online now
3K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How to block a whole IP range (Amazon bots) from seeing my ads?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

My website is getting clicks from Amazonaws bots,

such as these IP's:

the host name is: "(something).us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com",

according to http://www.geoiptool.com/.

they enter with bogus referring URLs such as:

"https://www.google.com/search?q=mykeyword1+mykeyword2&gws_rd=ssl"

While I'm pretty sure I'm not being charged for these, it is still annoying to get automated visits, and they also continue to scrape all links on my website and crawl them as well.

In the IP exclusion Tool, It is impossible to exclude 54.*.*.*,

bur rather only 54.[number].[number].* which is not enough of course, unless I want to start entering unlimited number of combinations.

What solution can Google provide me?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: How to block a whole IP range (Amazon bots) from seeing my ads?

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Hi Jay,

This isn't as straightforward as it seems.

1. The 54.0.0.0/8 block (all IP addresses starting with 54) is actually owned by Merck and Co, not Amazon. Amazon just took over several /16 blocks for their cloud. Blocking the whole /8 block would probably not be a good idea.
  2. These 54 addresses represent only a small portion of IPs used by Amazon's EC2, they have many, many more (1000's)

So, from an AdWords perspective it's probably not easy or doable to block Amazon's EC2, unless you want to maintain a huge list of ranges and continually update it (as Amazon's IP addresses continually expand)

In Analytics though, one thing you could do is enable "Exclude all hits from known bots and spiders" in your view's settings. If that doesn't do the trick, you can build your own filter.

Ken

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Hi Jay,

This isn't as straightforward as it seems.

1. The 54.0.0.0/8 block (all IP addresses starting with 54) is actually owned by Merck and Co, not Amazon. Amazon just took over several /16 blocks for their cloud. Blocking the whole /8 block would probably not be a good idea.
  2. These 54 addresses represent only a small portion of IPs used by Amazon's EC2, they have many, many more (1000's)

So, from an AdWords perspective it's probably not easy or doable to block Amazon's EC2, unless you want to maintain a huge list of ranges and continually update it (as Amazon's IP addresses continually expand)

In Analytics though, one thing you could do is enable "Exclude all hits from known bots and spiders" in your view's settings. If that doesn't do the trick, you can build your own filter.

Ken

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Ken,
I don't use Analytics, but even If I did, how would changing a setting in analytics can possibly help me, as analytics is intended for analyzing traffic?

The main reason I want to block these is because this seems to be like some sort of industrial espionage. I've also never had any transaction from an IP starting with a 54.

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
I assumed your annoyance came from analyzing traffic in google analytics, as many people here do. Hence I gave you options to filter out that traffic. If you don't use analytics, you can of course ignore that comment

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Jay, sorry for bumping this old threat, found this script on github which automaticly create IP tables based on Amazon AWS Ip's, https://github.com/corbanworks/aws-blocker. Which was also mentioned on a thread on Stack: http://serverfault.com/questions/653987/how-do-i-block-incoming-traffic-from-amazon-aws-ips/657932. Let me know if it helped.